moving to Sosua for 6 months, some help needed.

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
Hi!
I'm David, i'm an italian citizen but currently in the U.S. as tourist, and thinking about moving to D.R. for 6 months. My destination would be Sosua, will stay a few days in hotel meanwhile i will be looking for an apartament possibly in a residence.

I have a few questions, hopefully won't look too stupid...please consider i have never been in this country!
I'm doing this because i like caribbeans and looks like living in D.R. is anyway cheaper than EU or US.
I worked in an office until a few months ago but before i used to be a deejay in clubs and produce house music.
I'd like to take some time and come back again to these things, as it's what i really like to do now and maybe i will find some good inspiration and new ideas.

Mainly i will be around with my setup, that consists in a laptop computer an a few musical "toys" that fit in a bag. I just bought an apple macbook pro after i got the old one stolen, losing a lot of work, so i'm worried to carry it around and maybe even leaving it in the room and be too exposed to thieves.
Do you think this kind of worries are concrete? Do you usually use laptop in bars, beaches? Is it safe enough? Or i'm too paranoic (probably still shocked for what happened with the old one). I've even put a sort of localization software now, hopefully it will work in D.R..

The other concern is about how it works to stay more than three month: as citizen from EU i can stay this amount of time and then if i'm not wrong i need to do some papers and ask a permit, right? I've also read about people overstaying and then paying a sort of fee. But in this case i need a return ticket? I'm buying a one way ticket as i don't have a return date yet.
Do you have a link to a website where i can find this kind of information? What would you suggest?

The other are things i'd like to ask are:
Would you suggest to get a medical insurance? Are the dentists expensive in D.R.?
Are any storms tornado expected in the next months?

I really hope to get some help from you guys!
Thanks in advance.
D

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dentists are reasonable
Overstay the months and pay a small fine.... the list is posted here all the time
Buy travel health insurance if you fell you need it.
You might get in w/ a 1 way ticket.... you might not. they will ask you on purchase if they are going to make you buy a return ticket

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
Seems to me he has taken a lesson with the theft of his old laptop so don't think he will be so careless now :)

The thing is that losing my laptop would mean losing the reason why i'm going there, as i could no more continue working on my music projects. That's what i'm scared of, it's not about losing money i spent or anything else.
If you would be a writer with half a book written would you care or not about losing it, not being able to finish it?
I just wanted a sincere opinion based on experiences of people living there.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
The thing is that losing my laptop would mean losing the reason why i'm going there, as i could no more continue working on my music projects. That's what i'm scared of, it's not about losing money i spent or anything else.
If you would be a writer with half a book written would you care or not about losing it, not being able to finish it?
I just wanted a sincere opinion based on experiences of people living there.
David , I think my conversation with Acria says it all. In the RD it is best to be very careful , the thieves are in abundance and don't let anyone spin it differently to you.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
David , I think my conversation with Acria says it all. In the RD it is best to be very careful , the thieves are in abundance and don't let anyone spin it differently to you.

Chuck, let us put this in the right perspective. There are thieves all around the world and especially in tourist areas. If you flash your money, expensive cameras and laptops in public, you are inviting problems. If you behave like a normal human being, chances are big that you will have no trouble at all.

One piece of advice I heard from a poster here I do cherish and practice... if you want or need to buy expensive stuff here, like a big flatscreen tv f.e., do not buy it at a place close to where you live, but buy it in a big city.

PS. Last week I saw an American tourist paying for a pack of gum in Playero. The amount was something like 50 rds, and he pulled a couple of thousand dollars out of his pocket, waved it around, looked like the dumb **** he was at the teller's screen and proceeded to extract a 100$ bill from his wad. Still wondering whether he made it home in one piece.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Back everything up on a daily basis on an external HD, cable the laptop to your table if you are concerned, and you will be fine, yes laptops do walk, but harder to take the table as well. Be wary of "friendly expats" that want to know your business or show you real estate.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
David:

I live on the Samana peninsula In the town of Las Terrenas. This is located on the northeast coast. Las Terrenas has a large European population, predominantly French, but also many Italians, Germans and Swiss. This is a beach community without the large all inclusive hotels. Again there are many small hotels and restaurants owned by French and Italian ex-pats. The town also has the best beaches in the country. It is a great place to live and work. This is real world DR with a tourist base. Google Las Terrenas for additional info. I think you would be very happy in this part of the DR. If you need any specific info send me a priviate message.

S

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
agreed however, the OP should be warned not spun

Is that what I said? Don't think so Chuck.
Common sense when carrying around expensive items or lots of money or stuff that is close to your heart around the world calls for extra attention always...all around the world but since the question of the OP is about Sosua...same answer really.

btw I have been robbed one time in the DR so far and that was our Iphone in Jarabacoa.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Is that what I said? Don't think so Chuck.
Common sense when carrying around expensive items or lots of money or stuff that is close to your heart around the world calls for extra attention always...all around the world but since the question of the OP is about Sosua...same answer really.

btw I have been robbed one time in the DR so far and that was our Iphone in Jarabacoa.
David, leave your computer in a safe and your cell phone also. that work ?

dddavid

Aug 3, 2011
Thank you for all the answers, expecially for the "thieves" topic.
I travelled a bit in many places and never had any problems. The only rubbery i had was in my house in Italy!
I have the secure cable and i do backups.
I know i don't have to showoff precious things, but if i need to work with my laptop is not easy to not show it.
That's my main concern. So probably i will have to keep it hidden and use only at home.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
David:

I live on the Samana peninsula In the town of Las Terrenas. This is located on the northeast coast. Las Terrenas has a large European population, predominantly French, but also many Italians, Germans and Swiss. This is a beach community without the large all inclusive hotels. Again there are many small hotels and restaurants owned by French and Italian ex-pats. The town also has the best beaches in the country. It is a great place to live and work. This is real world DR with a tourist base. Google Las Terrenas for additional info. I think you would be very happy in this part of the DR. If you need any specific info send me a priviate message.

S
Steve, please don't be offended but are you a realtor or perhaps sellin and apt ? I have heard much good about the area of which you speak but I am just curious why a PM would be required.