Dominican secret!!!!

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Ok tell me please,please tell me,how the heck,do you expats get around in DR????I have always been horrible getting to places or directions,but if there's signs,I can get there.No where in el este is there a sign but la mella,Venezuela,San vicente...lol.My grandma lives in Alma Rosa and to get there I usually take the loooooong way because that's the only way I know(try the lil side streets and went around in circles for two hours)If you ask someone down there for directions,this is how that goes.Dominican guy:eek:h,eso es facil,siga pa'lla(where?)y cuando tu llegue,dobla(he doesn't specify which way to turn,left or right)y cuando tu vea eso,ya tu 'ta ahi(lmao).I have also noticed that they used a lot of landmarks to get to places(dobla cuando tu ve la bomba texaco...or cuando tu vea el restaurancito)So with that said,how the heck do you get around DR???? it seems even in the centro(Santo Domingo)only the main avenues and some streets have signs.Definitely a DOMINICAN SECRET!!!!

jeviduty

Jul 1, 2011
Cant tell the secret sorry:bandit:

On the other hand,

I would recommend Google Maps, look at the street names and CAREFULLY plan a route, or use your phone with google maps and gps. It works pretty well. As you already know, you dont want to get lost. And honestly I always ask random people on the street when lost.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
my gps would not give me live navigation but directions instead...maybe if the phone was from down there with service in DR
I would recommend Google Maps, look at the street names and plan a route, or use your phone with google maps and gps. It works pretty well.

jeviduty

Jul 1, 2011
Well Google Maps for Blackberry only gives you directions and your location. Not navigation but Ill take it.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
guess we have no choice,do we?well that and conjunction with asking the guy and remembering some landmarks we should get there
Well Google Maps for Blackberry only gives you directions and your location. Not navigation but Ill take it.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
The garmin nuvi is a reasonably priced tool and you can downlooad maps of the whole of RD

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
so chuck,you can actually get live navigation???
Live no, but I have one , it speaks and I find them very accurate , easy to program , clear to view and many options and reasonably priced and it will provide you with everything you'll need I believe. current location etc

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Live no, but I have one , it speaks and I find them very accurate , easy to program , clear to view and many options and reasonably priced and it will provide you with everything you'll need I believe. current location etc

So you have you never actually used a Nuvi in DR Chuck but find them very accurate, that is comforting to know while trying to find the turnoff to Santiago off Route 21 in pitch black?
I must say, keep up the good work Charlie Boy, you will hit 1000 posts by Labor Day.

tio tambo'

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
... to find the turnoff to Santiago off Route 21 in pitch black?

That's easy just turn when you smell the chicharron and you'll be on your way to Santiago. All the better stop and get some and get a cold one at the colmado next door or if not stop at the next light(in Licey) on the right and get some chicharron de pollo with papas fritas and a cold one. All the better would be to stop and get both. :)

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
The shorter way to get to Alma Rosa from SD Zona Colonial is taking JPD bridge, get off on Av. Venezuela or on Sabana Larga to cut thrug Los minas then a right on Av. San Vicente de Paul. The longer but faster way is going straight on Autopista Las Americas and taking the bypass to Av. San Vicente, Puente Rey Juan Carlos if my memory is good.

I am Santiaguero but had to drive a lot in SD.

JJ

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
I remember years ago, a young boy needed a ride in the rain. When I asked him where he lived, he replied " entre NO CAMIONES y UNA VIA "

vid809

Jun 28, 2011
when there was no GPS, you would just get around by asking. a lot of times call the place where you're going and they will give u the tips ahead of time. (left in car dealer, right on blue colmado). now with GPS i guess its easier

by the way, some android phones, like the tmobile G2 come with the map preloaded on the phone so you dont even need a data plan while in DR. the older android phones had to download the map through data plan. im moving there in 4 weeks and will be bringing my phone with me to get around

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
For those using the Garmin Nuvi.. I have found quite a few errors in their routing: Ex: being directed to turn right when, from experience, I know that i have to turn left.. Be careful please since you could wind up in a dangerous area.

Welt

May 11, 2010
my gps would not give me live navigation but directions instead...maybe if the phone was from down there with service in DR

I was going to give u a hard time being from NY and all but u make a valid point. LOL! Invest in the new Garmin GPS it has updates from the smallest countries to the largest and it gives u live satellite updates for traffic. I have one and it is best for u in countries like DR where a lot of streets might not be listed.