Life expectancy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The CIA published a list of life expectancy per country. Monaco is #1 with an average of 89.73 years, USA on #50 and the DR on #61. The list ends with Afghanistan and Angola.
Apparently Brugal and Presidente keep the people fairly healthy;)
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2102rank.html

We'll see howlong Monaco's new princess lasts.............. after 3 - count'em 3- attempted escapes from the wedding ceremony.:(

The last resulted in the Monaco police confiscating her passport..... talk about shotgun weddings !!!:dead:

There will be no more Monaco if a legitimate male heir isn't produced.... it will cede to France... been in the Grimaldi family since 1279 or something.
If my life's job was to produce a legitimate male heir to preserve my "kingdom".... I might get started before I was 53 !!..:confused:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Life expectancy in the DR is fairly high.

I agree, and find it amazing due to the lack of good medical care once you're away from the big cities. And the mentality about health - most ignore doctor's advice. My father-in-law had diabetes - he went to the farmacia to check his sugar level every two weeks!!! We brought him a meter and test strips and he never used them. The sugar levels were unchecked, he took the same insulin regardless of need. Went just about blind. Heart attacks. He still lived to 92. Which actually was young, because his parents died at 100 & 105.

My mother-in-law is 90 and going strong, and looks great. Her sister is 98.

A lot of the older people in the campo near our house are in amazing shape for their ages, even if they LOOK old.

One guy we know is about 65, and still climbs coconut trees with a machete to get the coconuts. He looks about 95. His brother looks even older, but he rides his bike everywhere, big basket up front, selling whatever fruit he can pick or find to make a few pesos to feed his pigs.

Almost everyone out there is very thin, they eat frugally by necessity. Not much junk food available there. On the beach everything is fried and fattening, but the local residents don't buy that food, they can't afford it.

They all seem to know a lot about herbal alternatives. You have arthritis pain? They'll bring you a plant to make a tea. There's a plant for everything.

I suspect that the life expectancy in SD is lower than the campo. More junk/fatty foods there, less walking/exercise. The good life isn't so good sometimes, when it comes to health.

AE

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Only 4 Latin American countries are higher than the DR when it comes to life expectancy: Cuba, Chile, Costa Rica and Panama. That's pretty good!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
It was in Wiki - It must be true

We'll see howlong Monaco's new princess lasts.............. after 3 - count'em 3- attempted escapes from the wedding ceremony.:(

The last resulted in the Monaco police confiscating her passport..... talk about shotgun weddings !!!:dead:

There will be no more Monaco if a legitimate male heir isn't produced.... it will cede to France... been in the Grimaldi family since 1279 or something.
If my life's job was to produce a legitimate male heir to preserve my "kingdom".... I might get started before I was 53 !!..:confused:

"On 2 April 2002 Monaco promulgated Princely Law 1.249 which provides that if a reigning prince dies without surviving legitimate issue, the throne passes to his siblings and their descendants of both sexes, according to the principle of male-preference primogeniture.[13] In October 2005 (after Albert's accession to the throne), this law took full effect when ratified by France, pursuant to the 2002 Franco-Mon?gasque Treaty regulating relations between the Sovereign Principality and its more powerful neighbour. His sisters and their legitimate children thereby acquired the right to succeed to the throne."

Albert II, Prince of Monaco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My father had an aunt who broke an arm falling out a tree in her 90's. She was trying to retrieve a cat. The cat came down on its own when the hubbub died down.

Longevity - diet, exercise, luck

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
"On 2 April 2002 Monaco promulgated Princely Law 1.249 which provides that if a reigning prince dies without surviving legitimate issue, the throne passes to his siblings and their descendants of both sexes, according to the principle of male-preference primogeniture.[13] In October 2005 (after Albert's accession to the throne), this law took full effect when ratified by France, pursuant to the 2002 Franco-Mon?gasque Treaty regulating relations between the Sovereign Principality and its more powerful neighbour. His sisters and their legitimate children thereby acquired the right to succeed to the throne."

Albert II, Prince of Monaco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My father had an aunt who broke an arm falling out a tree in her 90's. She was trying to retrieve a cat. The cat came down on its own when the hubbub died down.

Longevity - diet, exercise, luck

Thank you for that explanation........... the girls should be in charge........ Albert has no worries at all......

he should have let Rapunzel let her hair down.

2002 you say... when did Rainier die? Close to then , I'll bet

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
The life expectancy in Monaco is 5 years more than the #2 Macau I reckon that's because a lot of wealthy elderly expats are living in Monaco. What's funny though is that Monaco and Macau are known for their gambling, I wonder what the life expectancy is in Las Vegas and Reno? lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
our gardener is about 75 and as fit as any teen: climbs trees, moves around fast, lifts heavy bags/boxes. granted, he looks kinda mummified - dry and tough - but nonetheless. his sons, however, look like greasy blobs of half-digested vitamina bruta. lazy as hell too. he will outlive them all.

i think the life expectancy in DR looks good because of those old generations of hard workers. new generations? bunch of weaklings.