looking to hire a driver with car

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Hi
we are looking to hire a local driver with car to explore the DR for 9 days. Is this a possiblity? we are new to the DR and not sure renting a car is a good idea. If we do end up renting a car and exploreing on our own we know the rules are ---there are no rules. We land in PC and want to explore Luperon and work our way back to PC. Any ideas?? Suggestions???

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
For a first timer to the DR I think you are trying to cover to much geography. There is no easy way to get from Punta Cana to Luperon. You would be better off to explore from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo and back. A car and driver is a good idea however it is costly. It may be as much as $100-$150.00 a day. You could rent a vehicle and drive yourself without much of a problem. It is not difficult driving in the DR. Drive during the day and take your time. Do you have a hotel in Punta Cana? Your hotel can help you with your plans. Any particular reason that you want to go to Luperon? Does anyone in your group speak Spanish? Good luck.

S

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Am I understanding that you don't have hotel accommodations anywhere in the DR, and just want to drive from place to place for 9 days?

Hiring a driver is very expensive, especially for 9 days, you'll probably have to pay for his hotel and meals too. PC to Luperon, that's a long distance. I think you're trying to do too much in a short time. Especially since you've never been there before.

I think LTSteve is right on all points. Rent a car yourself, choose a smaller/closer route. Know where you'll sleep each night in advance. Either south coast as he suggested, or along the eastern coast - beautiful places along there too.

Wherever you go, it will be a beautiful ride, enjoy!

AE

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
IF we can't /don't find a driver we will rent a car. No we don't have a hotel as of yet but will have a better idea when we get closer to the time [oct]. We are interested in a move to the north coast where we will come by boat. We are exploring. 9 days is all we have at the moment.
jan

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I don't quite understand your plan. If you want to check out the north coast then you should be flying into Puerta Plata or if you are coming from Canada you could fly into El Catey on the Samana Peninsula. From these two points you can fiqure out a route. I would not come to the DR without some hotel reservations. Yes you can find hotels along the way but it may not be a place you really want to stay at. 9 days is plenty of time to check out the area but not from Punta Cana to Luperon. I would suggest going back to the internet and check out what you are interested in. Since you have never been in the DR before I think you need to be a little more realistic in your expectations.

S

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Agreed that landing in Punta Cana makes no sense because of the time it will take you to get there and back from the North Coast. It is a lot of time wasted on the road.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
I agree with everyone PC was not my choice but 2 free tickets are 2 free tickets so I saved us some $$. We understand it is a good deal of traveling and are looking forward to seeing the countryside. thanks everyone for all the suggestions !!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All you need is alittle sense of adventure.

Get yourself to Sto Domingo..... big place, 4-5 million people.... from there you can take Caribe Tours bus to the north coast.

Scenic trip.... once on the north coast, you'll work with a driver or rent your own car and tour.

Finish by doing the reverse.... back to Sto Domingo by bus.... then back to PC to finish off.

9 days will be fine for that.

WW

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Hey! My husband (english/spanish speaking) can drive you around on the North Coast, 20$ an hour, at least 5 hours a day.
Call him +18096054171 or PM me with your email. He is doing tours here for 9 years already, so you will be safe with him ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you will email me, I will send you directions for taking public transportation to Santo Domingo. This has been discussed here several times.

I agree that free tickets are nice, but free tickets to hell might not be what you really want. (Not implying that Punta Cana is hell!!)

What I mean, as do others here, is that you are going to Boston to explore Edmonton. You will be over 200 miles from where you want to go...

If you decide to get to Santo Domingo, and then a nice bus to the North Coast, POP or Sos?a or even just up to Santiago, you can get organized and see what you need to see without a big waste of time.

You should also get in touch with "pelaut" here on DR1, he is the guru of Luperon...and you guide to success if boating at all.

HB

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Thanks everyone- some good advice -we will be renting a car and exploring on our own - what better way to see the country, the people, the culture. For good or bad it should help us make our furture plans.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Before you go, download and print maps AND satellite views from Google Maps, take a hand held compass, and get what maps you can locally. If you don't speak Spanish well, take a language book. Have fun!