Condo questions when you aren't there?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Maybe this is fairly obvious to some, but I haven't been able to find the answers. Questions for Condo or renters who live in the DR when you aren't using your place..
1. If you decide to leave for 6 months or whatever amount of time, can you just call the cable company, phone company, Hydro and discontinue those services, and have them turned on when you come back?
2. What I'm trying to figure out is, if I turn off my electricity, is there a charge to have it turned back on, same question with the other utilities. Or if not using electricity, will I still receive a bill every month as a "service fee". I'm not renting my condo when Im not there.
3. My place isn't finished yet, so I haven't lived there.
What do you guys do?

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I don't know what most people do, but I'm planning on just turning every thing off in the condo, but not cutting off service. Not sure how hard/easy that would be to do.

BTW... what condo complex did you end up buying in? I noticed you said your place isn't finished yet, was wondering if you decided on Corte Sea. BTW.. When we were there in June, we met a couple who just turn everything off, close the door, and go home. Then when they come back, it's like they left hours ago instead of months. Some people hire property managers to take care of their places between visits... and the manager will come in once a month to check on things, clean, etc. Only problem with that situation is the added expense.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You sign a contract for 18 months for Cable and phone line with claro, you can now terminate/suspend this for a fee of 2,850 pesos, I guess they figured that it is better to charge a fee and get it done legit, rather than people just leaving.