American living in D.R with dual citizenship travel question.

eahdj

Aug 6, 2011
I am a native American citizen living in the dominican Republic. I have been here for 2 years and 5 months and have dual citizenship American/Dominican. Can I travel to the US with my American passport and just my Dominican cedula with out having to pay taxes when I leave the D.R. or must I have both passports? Also, can American officials cause me any problems because I have dual citizenship? The American embassy webpage says that they do not encourage dual citizenship because if there is an interntional incident between the two countries the US may not be able to help the citizen. It does not say that it is illegal, simply not encouraged. Also, it states that in order to lose your American citizenship you must submit documents stating that you want to renounce your American citizenship which I did not do. However, you know how people always have horror stories that may or may not be true. I plan to travel in 2 months and don't want to have to worry or any surprises.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I am a native American citizen living in the dominican Republic. I have been here for 2 years and 5 months and have dual citizenship American/Dominican. Can I travel to the US with my American passport and just my Dominican cedula with out having to pay taxes when I leave the D.R. or must I have both passports? Also, can American officials cause me any problems because I have dual citizenship? The American embassy webpage says that they do not encourage dual citizenship because if there is an interntional incident between the two countries the US may not be able to help the citizen. It does not say that it is illegal, simply not encouraged. Also, it states that in order to lose your American citizenship you must submit documents stating that you want to renounce your American citizenship which I did not do. However, you know how people always have horror stories that may or may not be true. I plan to travel in 2 months and don't want to have to worry or any surprises.

You just need your American passport and you Dominican "Cedula" nothing else. If you want to take Dominican passport you can take it just don't show it when you get to the U.S., even though if you show it, it won't cause any trouble. They already know that they are a lot of people with due citizenship.

YUL514

Aug 28, 2010
Hi eahdj
I don't think that you have to pay the fine for staying longer than 30 days since you have a DR residency cedula.
Landing in the US,you show your US passport,returning to the DR, show your cedula so you don't pay the entry fee.
This is logical since you have both citizenship.Wait for others on this board to confirm this.

Regards Mike

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hi eahdj
I don't think that you have to pay the fine for staying longer than 30 days since you have a DR residency cedula.
Landing in the US,you show your US passport,returning to the DR, show your cedula so you don't pay the entry fee.
This is logical since you have both citizenship.Wait for others on this board to confirm this.

Regards Mike

I have dual citizenship also. When I travel to the US I show the US passport to check in for the flight. When I leave I show my Cedula to Customs and do not pay anything.

When returning to the DR I check in to the airlines with my DR passport, and use it to enter the DR when I arrive. I have never had a problem. You can use the US passport to check in going to the DR also if you wish.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I posted this earlier in the thread...

The US insists by law that US citizens ( passports holders) enter the US using their US passport....

It is not illegal to hold multiple passports.
It is illegal to enter the US using one of them.

Welt

May 11, 2010

That is crazy that the US does that... there are tons of citizens in the US with dual-citizenship. I am in the process of getting mine from the DR because of my lineage. I have hired someone in the DR to assist me.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
EVERYBODY pays departure tax to the Dominican Govt. My wife is D.R. citizen with U.S. residency, I am U.S. citizen with D.R. residency, our child is dual D.R. - U.S. citizen. We all three pay departure tax leaving D.R. and pay nothing coming back into the D.R. Departure tax is almost US $90.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
That is crazy that the US does that... there are tons of citizens in the US with dual-citizenship. I am in the process of getting mine from the DR because of my lineage. I have hired someone in the DR to assist me.

This is standard all over the world. If you are a citizen of the DR, living/traveling in the DR, then the US government has no right to interfere in the domestic affairs of a country.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
EVERYBODY pays departure tax to the Dominican Govt. My wife is D.R. citizen with U.S. residency, I am U.S. citizen with D.R. residency, our child is dual D.R. - U.S. citizen. We all three pay departure tax leaving D.R. and pay nothing coming back into the D.R. Departure tax is almost US $90.

Departure tax is included in your airline ticket. Any other tax paid to Customs is for overstaying a Visa.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Having a dual citizenship and traveling is ok as long you follow guidelines at the dept of state site:

US State Department Services Dual Nationality

And it says if you WANT TO RENOUNCE your citizenship, you MUST go to the embassy and sign papers and do it...you DONT HAVE TO!

You lose your citizenship when you accept citizenship with a country at war or in conflict with the US, obviously making you a traitor!

While traveling show your US passport on the US side, and your DR passport in the DR side, simple as that. If when leaving the US with a one way ticket, the check in agent ask you for document to stay in the DR, show them your cedula, thats it.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Having a dual citizenship and traveling is ok as long you follow guidelines at the dept of state site:

US State Department Services Dual Nationality

If your parents are Dominican, by Dominican law you are automatically Dominican, you just have to do the process TO GET YOUR PASSPORT AND CEDULA, which you say you already have.

"However, a person who acquires a FOREIGN citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the INTENTION to give up U.S. citizenship." FOREIGN, in our case meaning any other country than the DR, cause you are automatically recognized in the DR by your lineage. And INTENTION, that you have to have the INTENT(which you dont) to give up US citizenship.

You lose your citizenship when you accept citizenship with a country at war or in conflict with the US, obviously making you a traitor!

While traveling show your US passport on the US side, and your DR passport in the DR side, simple as that. If when leaving the US with a one way ticket, the check in agent ask you for document to stay in the DR, show them your cedula, thats it.

Hope this helps.

Lena5321

Mar 5, 2008
Hi,

I'll reply based on each of your specific worries:

(1) Can I travel to the US with my American passport and just my Dominican cedula with out having to pay taxes when I leave the D.R. or must I have both passports? I recommend traveling with both passports, but only use your American Passport when entering and exiting DR and the US. Why? For starters as an American you have entry into the us without having problems at immigration about your Dual Citizenship. Secondly, you just don't need a Dominican Passport. Its worthless... Thirdly, and the only reason why I recommend traveling with it, its just in case when you arrive back to DR with your DR Cedula. The DR Immigration request more proof of citizenship. This will avoid you from buying the Tourist Card.

(2) I am also a Dual Citizen, and the US cannot reject ANY US Citizen the right to International Assistance. Especially when this person is an American Citizen and born within US Soil. Now, I do highly recommend not committing a crime or other illegal activity, as US protection cannot be guaranteed. Under those conditions, you will be judged as a citizen and not a foreigner under foreign policy protection.

(3) To renounce your US Citizenship is crazy. Why??? You have no problems traveling in and out of the DR, with a US Passport. If you renounce you are losing many privileges and moreover protection from the US, in the case of a national incident, crisis or other.

Let me recommend not worrying about it. Travel with both passports and cedula. Use only your US Passport for Travel (to and from) and once you arrive in DR, show only you DR cedula. Like I said above, the DR Passport is worthless and should only be shown to prove DR Citizenship. They should NOT stamp this or you will have problems exiting the country on your next trip. Passports must always show and Entry and Exit, and if two different passports are stamped you will have problems exiting the country, until resolved.

Hope this helps.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Passports must always show and Entry and Exit, and if two different passports are stamped you will have problems exiting the country, until resolved. (Quote)

I always use my Dominican Passport to enter the DR and my US passport to leave. Been doing this for close to 10 years and never had one problem. Just have both passports with you.