Need a Stove, should I have one shipped, shop locally or online.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look in the classifieds of the Listin Diario and visit the used furniture places wherever you live.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
stoves can be bought in any furniture store all over the country. there is plenty of choice when it comes to size and colour. you'd have to be bonkers to import. unless you are looking for some super fancy special stove do not worry, you can but really good stuff in DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We bought a very nice stove at La Sirena, good price too. Don't bother importing one, will end up costing much more.

AE

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011
where are you? I have a friend selling a brand new stove that he bought but it does not fit in his house. He lives in Bavaro.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It may be wiser to obtain a stove from the local market vs importing one because there is a better opportunity to obtain service and replacement parts for the local units. Almost every town has a small repair business specializing in appliance service and repair each having an ample supply of new and used parts for local market products. This is not to say that you would not have service and parts for a foreign purchased unit in the DR but it may be costly as you may have to seek service vendors familiar with the unit and have to source overseas for replacement parts.

Regards,

PJT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We purchased a stove locally on the north coast and the only place repair parts were available was in Santo Domingo. That is just as inconvenient as importing them for me.

If you are looking for a "local quality" stove, low to low-medium quality, which is readily available in places like Plaza Lama or La Sirena, it is probably better to purchase here. if you are looking for a higher quality stove it would probably be cheaper to import it using a door to door service like Montero shipping who will guarantee a price up front. This will also depend somewhat on where you live in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Personal preference, really.
I always prefer to import (via Mudanza) and forego the warranty issues rather than buy whats available in RD.
I think you get better quality by importing and there should be no tax w/ the right mudanza.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I bought a Mabe 6 burner stove, second hand, and it was in terrible shape!! So I went to this place on Las Carreras, and they sent their "guy" over here and for like RD$3000, he made it NEW....Now I have a new, old stove. But this was what they call here, "una oportunidad", not usual for ex-pats...

Look above. There is a guy in Bavaro that is selling a stove!!

HB

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I would say I was in the same boat; I own an electric stove here, so I needed to buy one here and ship it. But after doing research, the cheapest I saw a gas stove here was $450 (Frigedaire), shipping would be at least $150. I saw the same stove in Plaza Lama on Calle de Sol for $22,000 pesos ($580US). It was the last model on display. So if you buy in US and ship, you may spend more but you cant get the tech support should it break down. So doing the math its way better to buy then to ship.

Feb 15, 2005
Not looking for anything fancy at all but well made. We got a quote for $19,000 for a new one. Being new to the household large appliance market, I guess it's a fair price. What do you think?

You guys have been very good, thanks for the feedback.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Not looking for anything fancy at all but well made. We got a quote for $19,000 for a new one. Being new to the household large appliance market, I guess it's a fair price. What do you think?

You guys have been very good, thanks for the feedback.

~that sounds like a fair price for new...I bought a new Gas 6 burner MABE with griddle and paid $RD23,000

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
This is but a word of caution. Be aware of how dependable the delivery electical service in the household where an electric stove is going to be used. If you are in a area where electric distribution is supplied by a private company 24/7 there is no major problem with electric cooking other than the high cost of electric service. Other areas of the country public electric service is sporadic so be sure you have an alternative cooking arrangement should there be a blackout or interruption of service, have a generator and/or invertor capable to supply your energy for cooking.

Most folks opt for gas stoves. Purchase two gas tanks. Use one keep the other in reserve. When you expire the gas in the service tank, change it out for the other, refill the empty and use it as the reserve.

Regards,

PJT