Per KM cost of Car Usage

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Hello everybody, does anybody happen to know what the going per km rate for car usage is in DR (if it exists at all)?
Thanks in advance

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Gas is twice US, more $ for tires, less for repairs if you buy a Toyota. Repairs to suspension from the bad roads are more frequent. If you are unfortunate enough to have a dishonest mechanic ( you are a gringo) repairs are more. From my experience of five years driving one Toyota and two Fords its about %35 to %45 higher than the US. Then you have to throw in the inevitable accident which can bring the costs thru the roof. When I drive here I like to have a trustworthy Dominican sitting next to me so that we can change places quickly when we have accidents. My wife does nicely here. Gringo's cannot be in auto accidents in the DR. When you add it all up it comes to dont drive in the DR if you do not have to. I was told this when new here. I did not listen of course but now I know why they said it. Plus I was very lucky. Hope you are too.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I think the OP is looking for what the per KM charge for use of a car here. You are likely thinking of what you bill or charge on expenses. Rule of thumb is to take the cost of gasoline per km and double it in North America. Here I would triple it to get some kind of figure you can work with.