Reasons for hijacking an account?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Just got email from DR1 telling me someone has been trying to log into my account, but thankfully failed. This is now worrying as I was unable to log into my email account the other day for several hours, any of my email accounts and my partner my PC.

What would be the reason someone would want to hijack my account, Dr1 or email, I could se a sinister side to an email account but DR1??? Not sure I get that!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All the reasons from Identity theft for monetary gain to just for the fun of hacking an account.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think it would be fun to log in as AZB and post a story on mars and venus on how he fell for a girl from barba negra... :)
alternatively someone could log in as me and start "i totally love the dominican" thread ;)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
are you sure it really was from DR 1??? I get email from lot's of places that looks totally real, but I know is fake. It's easy for phishing scams and spammers to forge official looking email. Hope you didn't click on a link. Should run virus / malware software asap.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
no links, just a warning mail. I am puzzled but I see no reason to try and log onto my dr1 account, how could they use it to any profit? crazy!

justdoit

May 3, 2011
Anastacio,
The majority of people are using one or two passwords for all their accounts or internet activities or a password with light variations for these accounts (for example "password1" for gmail, "password2" for the bank account and so on); someone breaks into your DR1 account, chances are the password used would be the same or similar with the password you use for your email account, bank account, ebay, paypal and so on. So one might not be interested into hijacking the DR1 account for the purpose of posting anything "funny" (plenty of entertaining postings already on this forum...) but to get a kick of finding your password. And one might think it is much easier trying to get into your account by guessing the password using DR1 then PayPal for example. Of course, this is just my opinion, I could be completely wrong on your case.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Anastacio

...at least you received the email notification that someone was trying to log onto your account....IMO...change you passwords and make it difficult for the hackers to figure out...use Capital and lower case letters as well as numeric and symbols...

Get a good firewall protector and computer cleaning program as well....you need to be your own advocate to protect your privacy and identity....

anthony

Mar 17, 2010
The hackers have tried to get into my DR1 account also . Get the same emails also .

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The hackers have tried to get into my DR1 account also . Get the same emails also .

Now this is interesting, have you done anything out of the ordinary? I did do a bit of delving into an add and got quite close to setting up a meeting to se if it was the same guy who robbed me last year, but he sprung me and vanished when he put 2 and 2 together. Other than that, I've only been in touch with Cobra, Robert, Franky Tranky, Pedro and MikeI. I doubt any of those are terrorists!