What Is the Most Efficient Way To Buy A Car....

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Living in Santo Domingo? I am looking to purchase a Honda Fit. I wanted to buy it over in Miami and ship it to DR, but it looks like a nightmare to do so. Buying locally in Santo is over the top crazy prices for these cars. Any suggestions? Ride a bike?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Public transport is often quicker around the city anyway. Unless you need to head out of town often then don't bother.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I'm in the same position. I need a car for just everyday getting around and the occasional trip to SD (I live in Bavaro). I don't want to spend more than $8000 but it seems for that cash all you can get is crap. What is it that allows used car prices to be so high?

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011
I'm in Bavaro too, looking for a car. Insanelyone you can get a car in pretty good condition for $8000US in Santo Domingo. I went to a big car market there last week but my budget wasn't as big as yours. Granted, you will be paying double it's US value and it will most likely be a 1998 or 1999 model, but it should get you where you need to go.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't suppose it would work here, but the 'car sharing' concept is working well in the USA..... big cities like NYC and Philadelphia.
Here, the car isn't needed every day in the big cities.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

Consider buying a used car. Check out SuperCarros web site. This will give you an idea of what is available and the price range. If you can hook up with a private owner, who hopefully has taken care of the vehicle, you will be better off. The actual paper trail is a little more complicated than in the states. Do not exchange money until the car is in your name.

S

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011
I'm from Philadelphia and we have PhillyCarShare. It works great. I was thinking the same thing about Cars there, but I guess it would only work with expats....would be nice though.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
8000$ and you can't find a car? this must be a joke as i know tons of people in SD that make half of that in a year and they're driving and paying high prices for gas on top of that...............

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm from Philadelphia and we have PhillyCarShare. It works great. I was thinking the same thing about Cars there, but I guess it would only work with expats....would be nice though.

I'm from PHL too..... PhillyCarShare is a great thing for the right person......

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Car prices in general are much higher in the DR. You have to take into account the shipping costs, and the import duties and fees that the companies incur. And their markup. A wholesaler nomally farms out his inventory and he has to make $. Then the dealer has to make $ so you are talking about larger markup also.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
For that kind of cash you can get a Mitsubishi Lancer 2007. I just bought a 2007 Toyota Corolla CE with 59,000 miles on it for under 12,000US. This car is an american build car with all high standar and regulation require by the USA department of transportation. Of course I did the Carfax check on it and it came clean, car has never been in accident and I am the first person to drive it here because it was out of customs on Tuesday and on Thursday of the same week was mine. PM if needs to get a good car for a good price.

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
8000$ and you can't find a car? this must be a joke as i know tons of people in SD that make half of that in a year and they're driving and paying high prices for gas on top of that...............

Thank you for your well thought out and informative answer. You bring so much to this online community.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
^ lol. preach preach!

I looked at importing a car a few months ago. I didn't do it, and just decided to buy an old rust bucket here with air conditioning. That way I don't care if it's hit by a carro publico, or if it gets stolen etc.

Here's some of the intel I discovered when I looked into this:

1. you can't import a car that's more than 5 years old.

2. importing a car that you've owned for at least 2 years nets you preferential importation tax

3. importing a 'rare' car will mean the tax you have to pay will be more of a 'wild card' ie. if they haven't seen that kind of car very often, they'll try to hustle you. so best to import something very common like a tercel or camry etc.

4. buying a car in mayaguez or san juan and taking the ferry in and registering it here etc, is possible, but it's a bit complicated - you need to have apostled copies of the matricula equivilent printed from the DMV, that needs to be notarized by the dominican embassy outside the country, ideally the whole thing is in your name, you will get inspected and reinspected, and every chance they get somebody will have their hand out for a propina - again it's not impossible, it just yields a lot of brain damage if you're not careful.

5. The one thing that we didn't get a chance to explore that I would encourage you to pursue and report back to the board is if it's possible with OAC, to lease (or finance for ownership) a car in America, at really low financing rates, then ferry it here from mayaguez. Obviously lease is harder, but I think it could be done with the financing... but we didnt' pursue it as our neighbours rust bucket became available for purchase last minute.

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
If you have the resources it really makes sense to buy the car in Miami and have it shipped. You won't have to pay sales tax or licensing in the states and you can get it shipped for about $700. Dominican customs will use the sales invoice as the value and add 33% in taxes. A $15,000 car will cost you $20,000. This way you can take advantage of some of the great deals available in the states and most importantly you will know what you have once you get it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you have the resources it really makes sense to buy the car in Miami and have it shipped. You won't have to pay sales tax or licensing in the states and you can get it shipped for about $700. Dominican customs will use the sales invoice as the value and add 33% in taxes. A $15,000 car will cost you $20,000. This way you can take advantage of some of the great deals available in the states and most importantly you will know what you have once you get it.

I question that.....
no owning period called for?
33% is the lowest rate i have EVER heard

Mine came in under my residency and was a bit more than that.... I'd have to look it up.

Ex-Canuck

Dec 30, 2010
My advice, just shop around and be patient for a good deal. I just bought a 2003 VW polo with 83,000 Km in Santiago last weekend for $4500 US. Yup, $4500. Great deal and the car is in excellent condition. Looks like new on the inside and out. I was expecting to get much less for what I could afford, but maybe I just got lucky.

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011
My advice, just shop around and be patient for a good deal. I just bought a 2003 VW polo with 83,000 Km in Santiago last weekend for $4500 US. Yup, $4500. Great deal and the car is in excellent condition. Looks like new on the inside and out. I was expecting to get much less for what I could afford, but maybe I just got lucky.
Santiago always seems to have great looking cars at good prices from what I see on Supercarros...It's just too far from me to get there :( Congrats!

Golfer

Apr 7, 2002
I question that.....
no owning period called for?
33% is the lowest rate i have EVER heard

Mine came in under my residency and was a bit more than that.... I'd have to look it up.

Custom duty is 17% and IBTS is 16%. DR-CAFTA. When you subtract US sales tax it's even more of a savings. Caveat is that the vehicle must have 35% North American parts which almost all now do. No owning period, you can handle the whole transaction in the states by phone and with wire transfers. As Yogi Berra used to say "You could look it up".

flako

Sep 18, 2010
I have a Mitsubishi Montero Sport 1999 for sale. Please PM me for details.

To this poster: If you want to post, please pay for an ad in the Classified Section of DR1. They are cheap and they are efficient.
HB (Moderator)

Last edited by a moderator: