Bringing laptop - customs question

Sarpedon

Aug 9, 2011
Hi, I plan to visit Dominican Republic soon and I'd like to bring my laptop and camera (both worth more than $400). In customs form on arrival there is a question about electronic equipment. If I tick YES, are they going to tax me? This is only my personal purpose, everything arrives, everything leaves with me.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
You can bring a couple, of each, if you wish, I have a few times...........I would not put it on my customs form though........And if asked, why so many, reply, you need them for your business in the US or wherever.....

But just about everybody brings a computer, with no problems and bring it with your carry on luggage......

Sarpedon

Aug 9, 2011
Of course I will have it in my cabin luggage as in checking one it's too risky :p

There will be only one piece of laptop and one camera, not even a couple of them. So you suggest not to declare anything from electronic equipment?

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
They are personal items for personal use and not for resale ....you do not need to claim them...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NO PROBLEM. Just put them in your carry on case...I use a computer bag and bring in two at a time, sometimes...

HB

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I've brought in as many as 4 at one time (laptops) and 1 or 2 cameras, never declare, never a problem. I was once asked why I was bringing a toaster oven and I said it was to be fixed and they said OK and let me pass.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have a camera and laptop. Didn't realize there was an electronic question until I read this form. I haven't declared them and won't when I return from trip to US I am on now. They are personal use possessions, not something I am bringing to give or sell.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Hi
someone please check the new form
and please report back

Drro
I like that fixing deal lol
Manu

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I just got back from Canada 2 weeks ago with 2 laptops in my carry-on and no one asked any questions. Unless you're bringing in suitcases-full, I doubt they'll even ask.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
I agree with all posters above. Bring a reasonable amount of laptops, without their boxes, and they will not care. We primarily fly into Santiago where almost always they scan the bags (so hiding beneath dirty socks doesn't help!) and have never been asked to pay for anything extra. Over the years our items have been numerous computers, game consoles, cameras, small tvs, etc., but all quantities consummate with personal use. As a matter of fact, my wife just came back from Miami (alone) with two new laptops and two kindles (for the upcoming school year) and once again, not even a question about paying. So not to worry and have fun.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
Ha! Actually CaptnGlenn, I have seen some people try to drag carry-on bags onboard that easily hold a 52" LCD TV!!!

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Don worry about it just bring your laptop and camera because it is not a problem and you do not need to declare it. No one is going to check your carrie on bag.

Aug 4, 2011
I have no problem in bring such things, but remember your box must not be shown otherwise you get taken to back room for question.You must make your things look like old

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
"Making things look old"

I do that all the time.... I don't shave the day of travel

Makes me very old !!!...:tired: