Interested in DR

DiosMio

Aug 10, 2011
Hello All,

My Dominican girlfriend of a couple of years and I both like the idea of moving to the DR. I'm thinking of taking an exploratory trip soon to check it out and see if it might be a place I would like to live (I'd probably rent for 3-6 months before making that determination).

I'd like to find a place near the beach, with a good mix of expats, locals, and tourists. I'd like to find a town that can be walked fairly easily because I hate owning a car. It'd be nice if the place was relatively safe.

I was thinking I'd fly into SD, check out Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, possibly La Romana, the Punta Cana area (which is probably too touristy), the Samana Peninsula, and the North Coast (Rio San Juan, Cabarete, Sosua, Puerto Plata, Costambar).

I'd love to hear comments on any of these destinations, and it would be great to get some other suggestions, as I'm sure I have overlooked a few good possibilities.

Thanks.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Where is your Dominican gf's family from in DR? Does she want to live near family?

Do you need to live someplace where you both can work, or are you retired?

AE

DiosMio

Aug 10, 2011
Her family, I believe, is in Santo Domingo. Her mother lived there before coming to the US. Her father is from Constanza. I should clarify that she is actually Dominican-American. Being near her family would be nice, but its not a priority.

I will probably live off investments and savings for a while. I may also do some freelance work via the internet. I'd like to possibly open a bar or some kind of a small business, but that is definitely something I'd ease into.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
As her family is from Constanza I would recommend you check out Jarabacoa as it has much to offer while still being close to STI airport and Santiago for shopping and medical needs. It is a beautiful area and I think there is a HB close by.
I would advise you to not go near Boca Chica, it is not safe and please do not think you can open a bar and do anything but lose your savings. There are seven hundred bars too many already. You will find Punta Cana area to be too expensive compared to the rest of the country. It is good that you seem to be putting one foot into the water at a time rather than jumping in.

DiosMio

Aug 10, 2011
She prefers somewhere on the hotter end of the spectrum and would hate being up in the mountains. I'm considerably more flexible on the matter, but I'd prefer to be near the beach as well.

How dangerous is Boca Chica? I'm a pretty well seasoned traveler, but on the other hand I don't speak any Spanish yet (I plan to get a decent grasp of the language before moving, but I'd like to take this exploratory trip fairly soon).

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
How dangerous is Boca Chica? I'm a pretty well seasoned traveler, but on the other hand I don't speak any Spanish yet (I plan to get a decent grasp of the language before moving, but I'd like to take this exploratory trip fairly soon.

Boca Chica is the armpit of The Caribbean, there are many other pristine beaches without the vermin!

DiosMio

Aug 10, 2011
I haven't been to RD yet. I have heard good things about Punta Cana from my Uncle but it sounds too sterile for me. I have been to Boracay, Phillipines and I imagine, or at least am hoping, there is something similar in RD I can settle into.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
If it must be beach try Cabarete, Las Terenas, Las Galeras, Samana. And if you intend to live there you must espeaka espanesh

DiosMio

Aug 10, 2011
RV429: I like what I hear about the places you listed, but I'm wondering why not Sosua or Puerto Plata? I believe I'd like the combination of beach and city Puerto Plata offers.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

I live in Las Terrenas, on the Samana Peninsula, for about half the year. Las Terrenas is a tourist destination without the big all-inclusives. There is a large business area within walking distance and a large population of French and Itlalian citiizens. We also have the largest choice of the best beaches in the country along with some of the best restaurants anywhere. Once the additional extension of the Atlantic highway, between El Catey and Las Terrenas, is open it will be less than 2 hrs from Santo Domingo to LT. You need to check out this area.

S

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
i really wouldnt know where to recommend because you arent a single guy, and i do spend most of my time in Santo Domingo. If i were to spend a extended period of time in RD i would either do it in Santo Domingo or Cabarette.

But i have heard so many good things about Santiago that i regret not being able to spend time there yet. Samana is supposed to have the most beautiful beaches on the island.

If beaches are a must then Cabarette might be the best choice because sosua, puerto plata, rio san juan, nagua, and samana are fairly close in.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Hi:

I live in Las Terrenas, on the Samana Peninsula, for about half the year. Las Terrenas is a tourist destination without the big all-inclusives. There is a large business area within walking distance and a large population of French and Itlalian citiizens. We also have the largest choice of the best beaches in the country along with some of the best restaurants anywhere. Once the additional extension of the Atlantic highway, between El Catey and Las Terrenas, is open it will be less than 2 hrs from Santo Domingo to LT. You need to check out this area.

S

i forgot to mention this and LTSteve kinda spelled it out. Have you considered instead of making a permanent residence out of RD, you use your RD home just as a summer/vacation home. That's what im considering. Getting a modest place and spending extended periods of time there but still having my home base back in the U.S.

DiosMio

Aug 10, 2011
I'd consider getting a second place somewhere else and making DR my part time, residence, but I'm not interested in staying in the US. I'd be more likely to go somewhere like Colombia or Urugauy.

How do real estate prices compare in Samana vs PP/Sosua/Cabarete? I've found a lot more that fit my budget (I'd like a 1-2BR with a max budget of 80K) in PP/Sosua/Cabarete. Is that because there are fewer condo's out on the peninsula or is it just generally more expensive?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Puerto Plata beach is not good. Sosua has too many issues to settle down with wife but has the great beach.

DiosMio

Aug 10, 2011
What is not good about PoP? Is it dangerous, or just unattractive?

By "issues" do you mean the sex tourism? It doesn't really bother me. I doubt it will bother her, but I could be wrong. We're still young (I'm 29 she's 21) and interested in having fun.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
What is not good about PoP? Is it dangerous, or just unattractive?

By "issues" do you mean the sex tourism? It doesn't really bother me. I doubt it will bother her, but I could be wrong. We're still young (I'm 29 she's 21) and interested in having fun.

oh man... im in that same age range and i dont know if i could do DR at such a young age. I would defintly have the need to travel around the country.

maybe if you talk about some of your hobbies and what you want to get out of RD.

There is a difference between laying out on the beach drinking presidentes and wanting to do outdoor activities (hiking, surfing, nightclubs, etc).

Jan 17, 2009
In that age group, definitely consider Cabarete. That's not because I live in Cabarete, but I see lots of expats in your age group and they really have a great time here. Besides, if you don't speak Spanish, you can easily get away with it here.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
I would agree that Cabarete is a great place to live as well. English not really required, and as for the quoted price for an apartment, there's decent places in that range in the city as well as the outskirts. The " nightlife " isn't quite as hectic as Sosua (used to be ) and the mix of people from all over the world is excellent.