Travelling alone

D

D

Would you say it safe for a woman to travel alone to tne Dominican Republic

P

Phyllis

YES, I've been to the Puerto Plata area 8 different times in the last 3 years and feel very, very safe! The Dominican people are very friendly and warm - only one thing, and I would say this of travelling anywhere: be wise and do not flash tons of money or gold!

N

Naomi

Re: NOT RECOMMENED*QUITE DANGEROUS

Wrong. I just spent 8 days in Juan Dolio by myself and had fabulous time. I ventured out on the guaguas on several days going to La Romana, Altos de Chavon and Santo Domingo twice. The people are wonderful and were more than patient with this non-Spanish speaking white American. Just use common sense. I can't wait to go back...and it will be by myself again.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I disageee with John...

I would like to see John substantiate his comment with some "hard" evidence.

Over the past 6 years of DR1 and talking to many female tourists, I would say 95% have a great time here. Of course you get the odd incident like any other country. Use your common sense and you should be fine.

Rob.

D

Deb

I've travelled many times to the DR alone. It's perfectly safe for a woman to travel alone if she remembers to use the same common sense she uses to stay safe at home. Be friendly, be polite, be adventurous and you will have a wonderful time :)

A

anna

I spent a month in Sosua, on my own. People are great.Use caution as you would anywhere.

G

Garry

Re: I disageee with John...??

I'm confused. Are you saying 1 of 20 female tourists have a dissapointing vacation, or 1 of 20 have some sort of dangerous or threatening experience? Either way, it seems high... Doesn't it?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think "D" get's my point...

Amazes me how some people can get so anal over posts.
Sorry, I don't have exact statistics, I was generalizing based on 6 years of knowledge. Could be 96%, maybe even 99%???

Rob.

M

Marilyn

As safe as/or safer than any other tourist spot...

Well said DR1. Tourists are at risk anywhere they go, just look at Florida. The only thing I recomment is to use caution and not flash jewelry and money, same as you wouldn't do it at home. I go to DR every year to different resorts and drive around the countryside and I've never had a incident of any sort, there was even one time when I left my purse at a fast food place and it was returned to me with all the money I had in it.

G

Garry

Re: I think "D" get's my point...

Pardon me, but i am the furthest from anal and resent your remark. I assumed that with your handle (DR1) you have something to do with this board and would only present facts when posting. especially with such a sensitive, serious subject. People ask questions on here because they are trying to find out info on the country. Perhaps to help in deciding where in the world to spend their vacation dollars.
If you are just picking figures out of the air, and in doing so are providing fiction instead of fact, you are doing a diservice to all that are reading the posts. In this case instead of making it sound safe, you provided numbers to the contrary. And you did it again. From your latest figures, somewhere between 1 to 4 out of 100 female tourists suffer from some kind of dangerous/threatening experience. I'm sure this is not fact either. So while you were trying to discredit that lame/useless post by John, you actually substantiated his ignorant claim. This is not a personal attack on DR1, you have provided a lot of useful info in the past. Just a suggestion.

S

Sarah

Re: I think "D" get's my point...

Garry, please excuse Rob. I think he must have been having a bad day. I wouldn't take his comments too personally. However, I do have an idea of where his aggravation is coming from.

Speaking for myself, I am SO tired of folks questioning the safety of the DR and posts full exaggerated claims or innuendoes that violence and danger lurk around every corner. I realize that for someone who has not yet been there, they may be concerned. But why? In my logic, it would not follow that just because I'm going to another country, I might be in danger. Of what? The DR is not a country of unrest. It's a beautiful, peaceful place. It's not perfect, but nor is ANY OTHER PLACE IN THE WORLD!! If you follow the basic COMMON SENSE suggestions that you'll find archived here, and that you probably wouldn't do at home either (such as - don't wear lots of gaudy jewelry, don't flash big wads of money, don't bring attention to yourself, etc) you will have a wonderful time. Think positive. Be alert. Relax. I've stated that I feel safer in the DR, regarding myself AND my young daughter, than I ever have in the US. Some say that feeling and being are two separate things. Not really. And EVEN IF one bad thing happened to me, it would not overshadow all of the amazing times I've had there.

Please go and have a great time. We'd love to hear your trip report upon your return!

Sarah

M

Molissa

I TRAVEL ALONE TO THE DR!!!!!

I travel alone quite a bit! Granted I meet friends while I am there and hang out with them sometimes.

I have been all over by myself and have had NO problems. I am 27. Personally I prefer to travel alone. This way I can do as I please when I want to.

Just use your 'normal' steet smarts as you would at home. You will find that the Dominicans are very friendly and they WANT you to leave with a positive impression of their country!

Enjoy your trip and have fun!

R

Richard

Re: NOT RECOMMENED*QUITE DANGEROUS

Nonsense! As long as one uses common sense they will be as safe inthe DR as they would be in the U.S. Canada or Europe. Note the words "common sense." Should one take leave of their senses, (drinking to insensibility, going with new found friends to isolated or unsavory areas, parties etc. no matter where they are there can be problems.