Carnival Cruise Lines building port facility in Maimon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
It was announced yesterday that Carnival and its joint venture partner Dufry (duty free shops) have purchased several tracts of land and will spend $65M to develop a two berth port facility in the bay of Maimon, only 10 minutes West of Puerto Plata. This was announced by Carnival's Vice President of Port Development, Giora Israel, and the Dominican Minister of Tourism. It will require the dredging of a cruise ship channel into the bay and is subject to all applicable environmental and business licenses.

I am not sure how, but they were able to keep this a secret until they completed the land purchases and the signed an agreement with the Leonel administration last week. The crowd (made up of who's who in business and tourism in the area) of about 200 in the event room at the Be-Live Marien hotel went ecstactic, as nobody knew of the existence of such a project except some rumours over the last few days.

Carnival Cruise Line is the world's largest cruise ship operator with ownership of 10 cruise lines that own over 100 ships that visit 169 ports world wide.

We had the honor of having dinner with the Carnival/Dufry group later that night, I can tell you this is a done deal with construction starting in 2012 and the opening of the first cruise ship arrival slated for the summer of 2014. This being an election year, should facilitate a smooth licensing process.

The project will be financed completely by the Carnival/Dufree group and the port may also see the arrival of non-Carnival controlled ships.

Last edited:

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Between all Carnival Corp. brands, Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn they can easily have a dozen visits a week. Great news for the area. The dolphins better rest up.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am wondering about all the axxholes in POP that screwed up the cruise liners the last time with their grubby hands out all the time, the pushing and shoving to get tourists into "their" tours, and then the riots when things did not go their way.

Remember Cap Haitian got better reviews than POP on all the feedback.

Unless someone takes a major hand in this and sets the rules from the get-go, this will be another major cluster-f**k, just like the old days.

If some of the POP gentry and money is smart in any way they will tidy up the downtown "Victorian" areas, spruce up the fort and the restaurants or the bars, and prepare to welcome tourists.

The very idea of 6,000 or so tourists a week in POP and vicinity is mind boggling!!! I wonder if Jimenez, he of the tour company, will get in again. He was most unhappy the last time.

HB

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Since Carnival will build and operate the cruise terminal, they will have complete control over their passengers and the arrival area. While they will have parking and facilities for the taxis and tour busses, it will be under the terms and procedures set forth by Carnival. This is the big advantage this deal has over the potential development of POP harbor, where Carnival would have to put up with the government politicos, union thugs, and street hustlers.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Now it makes sense....

A privately owned port like the PC airport except only Carnival companies will be using the port.

A huge boon for the area..... lots of jobs ... construction and then servicing the ships,

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Actually, the port will be open to all cruise lines but Carnival will have scheduling preference. They like taking their competitors money. They do this in many ports they have built like in Cozumel, Roatan, etc.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I'm sure it will give a boost to the local economy, but probably less than you might think. A few tours and excursions (as partners with Carnival), definitely some foot traffic to some local businesses, but Carnival will be direct competition with their own shops right on the pier. (I'm just assuming it will be like the set up in Cozumel.) Think of it kinda like a floating AI. Carnival will do their best to pocket as much of the tourist money as possible. But the bottom line is that it WILL bring more people in.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Carnival will not operate any excursions or transportation businesses. Excursion expenditures will be key, it averages from $70 per pax (if I remember the slide presentation correctly) in some Dominican ports on the low end, to $191 in St. Thomas on the high end. Yes, a lot of that will go to commissions for Carnival and to their duty free partners at the terminal but also many tours and taxis will benefit. There will be job opportunities at the terminal also possibly for work on the ships. Also, there are good crew expenditures, some of the ships will have 4,000 pax and 1,000 crew. Hopefully some ships stay overnight but I think most of them leave in the evening now.

Oct 11, 2010
It was announced yesterday that Carnival and its joint venture partner Dufry (duty free shops) have purchased several tracts of land and will spend $65M to develop a two berth port facility in the bay of Maimon, only 10 minutes West of Puerto Plata. This was announced by Carnival's Vice President of Port Development, Giora Israel, and the Dominican Minister of Tourism. It will require the dredging of a cruise ship channel into the bay and is subject to all applicable environmental and business licenses.

I am not sure how, but they were able to keep this a secret until they completed the land purchases and the signed an agreement with the Leonel administration last week. The crowd (made up of who's who in business and tourism in the area) of about 200 in the event room at the Be-Live Marien hotel went ecstactic, as nobody knew of the existence of such a project except some rumours over the last few days.

Carnival Cruise Line is the world's largest cruise ship operator with ownership of 10 cruise lines that own over 100 ships that visit 169 ports world wide.

We had the honor of having dinner with the Carnival/Dufry group later that night, I can tell you this is a done deal with construction starting in 2012 and the opening of the first cruise ship arrival slated for the summer of 2014. This being an election year, should facilitate a smooth licensing process.

The project will be financed completely by the Carnival/Dufree group and the port may also see the arrival of non-Carnival controlled ships.

Conchman, thanks for the post, great info.

My boat just happens to be in Maimon right now. I have heard about ongoing negotiations but didn't realize that it was finalized.

Which side of the bay are they developing, the eastern part adjacent to the Riu resort or the western part?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Excellent news! This will certainly be a shot in the arm. The tourists who are only there for a day may choose to return and spend a full vacation in the area.

Could have sworn some folks on here were convinced it would never happen. Sorry to disappoint...

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I hope it works out, but I feel the greedy MF's will find a way to turn this into a cluster F%$K! The DR with its beautiful landscape and people should be rich, but unfortunately the criminals rule.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
That's great for Puerto Plata!

Puerto Plata can be very successful if managed correctly! I had taken two cruises with Carnival from Port Ca?averal, FL, and Puerto Plata has more things to do and see than those little islands where they only have nice beaches.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
That's great! I really hope it all works out, and that they seriously clean up all the crap on the malecon.

Status
Not open for further replies.