Hair Salon

Pink!

Aug 13, 2011
Anyone know a good hair salon in Sosua an Porta Plata that i can check out?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
In Puerto Plata I go to Salon Ilonka. They are excellent but don't speak English.

I understand that there is a salon at Las Canas in Sos?a that is good also. Have never been there, however, and can't tell you about the language available.

Also, I "hear" that there is a US trained hair person in Puerto Plata who does services in homes. Can't tell you much more than that about her, however.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Daniela is at Las Canas, speaks English (she's German) and is excellent, reasonable, and always on time. Her number is
809/974 3711

XOXOCoCo

Aug 13, 2011
I have been considering opening a salon in that area- I'm moving there soon with friends who are hair stylists. Do you think there is sufficient demand for english speaking, highly trained Americans?

Outlier

Aug 14, 2011
I'm looking for wedding party hair and make-up, especially someone with experience doing Asian make-up. I will call the lady suggested above but others would be appreciated too!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dominicans have an excellent world wide reputation for working in womens hair. Why would anyone want a European or American hairdresser in thr DR. Take a spanish speaking friend and go to a local salon. It will be chaeaper and you will be very happy with the results. Germans are for bakery products and meat markets. Americans, I dont know what they are good at but its not hairdressing.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I know a Russian woman who is a make-up artist. She also does hair, nails....the whole bit. Her salon is in her home in sosua. Feel free to pm me for more info.

Last edited:

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I like Salon Anna in Cabarete. She is on the non beach side of the street, a few doors west of the Chinese restaurant and roughly across the road from the alleyway that comes out on the beach near the pizza restaurant and Lax. I am out of the country now and do not have her phone number handy - if it is just a cut you want, no appointment is necessary.

Jan 17, 2009
I also go to Anna and highly recommend her. If you need Anna's phone number, let me know. I'll have it some where. Best time to show up is when she opens. I'm usually there at 2pm, and have no issue with her taking care of my hair color and cut without an appointment. She speaks good English and Spanish.

Dominicans are very reputable as hair dressers in the US. The good ones must have all immigrated. I'm yet to find a decent Dominican hairdresser here. They have no clue how to work with any other hair than the Dominican type.

Pink!

Aug 13, 2011
thanks everyone for your reply, im looking for a Dominican hair salon, im mixed, europeans wouldnt know what to do with my hair lol

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
There's a great Dominican hairdresser at Yolanda's Spa in Sosua on Calle Dr Rosen - can't recall her name. I've seen her do many Dominican as well as expat clients.

Pink!

Aug 13, 2011
Thanks Drro..ill check it out..do u know how much they charge?, i just wanna straighten it..

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Don't know prices, but I'm sure they're reasonable. There's a lot of competition in town and they have a nice place.

Pink!

Aug 13, 2011
lol Lee Hutchinson, i have every hair equipment known to man, very expensive ones i might add...but i still like to visit salons..its a women thing..and when im on vacation i dont wanna do my own hair...plus i heard Dominican women do the best hair

Pink!

Aug 13, 2011
sorry random question how do u put some1 else quote when responding to someone? i pressed the "reply with quote" but it doesnt have that bubble when i respond