Converting U.S. Dollars to DR Pesos

E

Eddie

It has been my experience that when I check the conversion rate on the different web sites the rate is always much lower than the rate you get in the airport in Santo Domingo. Is it usually a sure thing that the rate at the airport will be better than the published rate on sites such as:
http://www.oanda.com/converter/classic

Is there any way of finding out in advance (perhaps on the Internet) what the exchange rate at the airport is? Also, does the airport have the highest rate in-country? I've noticed that the airport rate is always higher than banks and cambios in the City.

Thanks for any information.

L

Larry

Even if you are talking about a one peso difference, that is still less than 7 cents.

S

Sarah

Importance really depends on the amount he's converting. If it's $1000 - that's $70US LOST. It really would be nice to know where to get the best rate at all times.

A

alan

The airport has always been best for us.

Brokerage's, as a favor to clients, can do better on decent sise transactions.

D

Doug

I personally find the airports to be somewhat less than the Western Express, it is there that I find the best deal, or if you are staying at a small hotel, the owner can give you a better deal(if you know him well)because he is always exchanging large amounts, therefore he will get a better deal from his place of business, this is of course if he wants to pass on his savings to you!

J

Jim Hinsch

Actually, the Santo Domingo airport (Las Americas) has a cambio before passing through immigration. A few weeks ago, they were paying RD$16.65/US$1, which was about the same as the local cambios in Boca Chica, including Western Union, Codetel, Tricom, Turitel, and several smaller cambios. I was surprised they pay such a good rate at the airport cambio. If the cambio knows you, you do a lot of business with them, and especially if you are a resident (expat or Dominican), you can get a slightly better rate (maybe an extra RD$.15/US$1).

My advice: Don't hesistate to use the cambio at the airport in Santo Domingo.

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

I NEVER see a airport exchg........

rate in my life that whas better than locals special buss.

Whats happend on the Inet (OANDA read the FAQ) is, that they use the NYC daily exchange rates, what says nothing about the local rate.
There are some (rare) sites who published the real rate, but like Jim say, at the end it is importend whou good you know the owners and whou much and, and, and.......lot of details:)))

cu/charly....(who know's, just 1$DRP difference can make a nice/free night....)