Punta Cana and the Cubanos.

Gilles Beaulieu

Apr 7, 2010
I just saw a report on the Republica Dominicana on Radio-Canada from Montreal, talks about Punta Cana the report they say that Punta Cana was developed by wealthy Cubains.En no case speaks the Russian mafia operating the largest hotels in Punta Cana.
I would like to know your experience and Punta Cana.
Gilles Beaulieu.Montr?aL.

Last edited:

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
P.C. was developed by wealthy Dominicans. julio iglesias, oscar de la renta, et.al. I never heard they had any Cuban partners, but I guess it's not out of the realm of possibilities. There has been a growing presence of Russians.. but mafia???? kind of a cliche, but again... not impossible.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Punta Cana Beach Resort and Private areas were developed by a group of individuals who were not happy with certain things at Casa de Campo after it was sold off by Gulf and Western. They decided to create their own complex and relocate there. The additional resort areas in Punta Cana/Barvaro were and continue to be developed by companies from Spain and other countries.
What seems to be happening is that the growth of tourism in the DR is worrying developers in other areas, and maybe they feel that they can only counter the growth in the DR is by using negative publicity.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
The "founding fathers" of Punta Cana are Frank Rainieri and Ted Kheel, everybody else is moving in their wake. @CaptnGlenn: Julio Iglesias is Spanish.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Yes..but I saw no need to mentionb their names. They were involved in Casa De Campo with my old friend Charlie Bludhorn and did not like changed made by the Franjuls. I also new Theodore Kheel way back from New York.