Best Area to Visit in DR?

harc00

Aug 14, 2011
My husband and I are planning a vacation to the Dominican Republic and would like some advice on the best area to stay. We're fairly novice travelers and are a little uneasy about finding our way around the island on our own for sightseeing and meals. However, we'd like to avoid the crowds and "touristy" type attractions that the all-inclusive resorts seem to offer. Our goal is to see the real DR and experience the beauty of the beaches and rainforests. We love to hike and explore. My first question is which area of the island would be best to visit? Second, is there an all-inclusive resort that is secluded and focussed on seeing the natural beauty of the island as opposed to centering the vacation on entertainment and drinking? Thank you all so much in advance for your advice!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
you want the beach, the hills and A/I in one package? If novice you will be best finding a nice A/I site and getting in there, then take day tours from the resort. You can't avoid tourists if you want an A/I package, and you will struggle to get the coast and hills in one place. And there isn't really a real DR, it is so diverse and changing.

Aug 19, 2004
I would agree with Matilda's choice another area to consider is the Samana Peninsular. - try Todo Blanco in Las Galeras.

As to the "real" Dominican Republic - can you explain what you mean. In the AIs there is a small industry devoted to giving tours of the "real" Dominican Republic - this usually involves disrupting a local school, going to a car wash and having a beer in a colmado. As Anastacio states the country is so diverse that there are many "real" Dominican Republics to explore. Hope you enjoy it.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Depends on what you really want to do. If you are interested in history and culture, there is more of it in the old part of Santo Domingo, than ion the rest of the free caribbean area combined. If it is the arts, you have theaters, galleries, and many other facilities in the capitol city. Of course, there are the beach areas which are second to none, the hotels , and plenty of local area places to stay. You first have to clealy define your wants and time frames. This is a big island and cannot be covered in a short time.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
A couple of days in Santo Domingo's colonial zone and then head to either the north east and the peninsula of Samana or to the south west & Barahona as mentioned above should fill your request.
Enjoy your trip !

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What about that hotel in the mountains [maybe run by Tim Hall?????] that someone had posted photos of? The rooms were so inviting and so part of the environment.

Anyone have a link?

AE

Caribbeandreamto

Advertiser
Mar 26, 2011
caribbeandreamto.net
If you're looking for an AI that has close proximity to the DR's natural diversity, I would look into Samana (Bahia Principe) or resorts in Puerto Plata.

To really experience the country's diversity in a non-AI, I second the suggestion for the Southwest.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

I am a little bit bias, because I live here about 6 months a year, but the Samana Peninsula has the best beaches in the country. It also has Limon Falls, which you can either hike or take horses to. If you hike it it will take about 1hr to the base of the falls, where there is a natural pool, in which you can swim. Las Terrenas has many small hotels and would be an ideal place to use as a base. There are many day trips within an hour or less drive time. Based on what you seem to be looking for you could google Juraasic Park Hotel, Las Terrenas and see if this is something that might work for you. I am not affiliated with this hotel. Good luck.

S

JamesMichal

Sep 28, 2011
This is a favorite tourist destination by families, friends and, most especially, newlyweds who are on their honeymoons.
There are many places for visit but top 5 places are mentioned here:
<big></big>Colonial Zone
Malecon
Plaza De la Cultura
Parque Mirador Sor
Eastern Santo Domingo
<big></big><big></big>
All these are very beautiful Places.

magic kingdom Orlando