Pre paid 3G USB wireless internet in Santo Domingo

expat757

Aug 15, 2011
Hello,
I spent some time in Panama last month and used their Claro pre paid 3G USB wireless internet service, got excelent results in terms of speed and availability. I am planning to travel to SD next month, is similar pre-paid service available there? How is the speed and availability?
Thanks!

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Claro has the same setup in the DR. I believe it was about rd2800 for setup with USB and 1st month free. RD128 a day without long term plan and only when used. A cedula is needed so get a Dominican or expat with cedula in hand to sign up for you. This was back in January so things may have changed.

Jul 4, 2010
Recently I got a Claro 3G Prepaid internet USB card in Azua for 1760 pesos, activated for one month usage (up to 3 GB). After using the allotted time, I activate it daily with 64 pesos (up to 200 MB). By the way, I got it without a cedula (used my old Venezuelan passport).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I used the Claro 'stick' during January and February. In Santo Domingo it was wonderful, great connection speed, used MagicJack with no trouble, etc. However, at our house [south coast west of San Cristobal] the connection was pitiful, couldn't download ANY mail or use the MJ.

So, it depends on where you'll be.

AE

expat757

Aug 15, 2011
I used the Claro 'stick' during January and February. In Santo Domingo it was wonderful, great connection speed, used MagicJack with no trouble, etc. However, at our house [south coast west of San Cristobal] the connection was pitiful, couldn't download ANY mail or use the MJ.

So, it depends on where you'll be.

AE

I will be in Santo Domingo but I don't have a cedula, will it be possible to get this service with only a passport? In Panama I spent few time going from store to store until I found one store that accept a passport.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Orange is better than Claro in terms of speed. I had used both and feel orange is better.

It all depends on where you plan to use it. I'm using both as we speak. Orange can be faster than Claro but only if you're close to a tower. Also their service is very inconsistent - It drops off all the time. Claro is more consistent IMO and can be very fast too if you're in an area with decent coverage. Claro is also cheaper.

The biggest difference is that with Claro you have a cap and when you hit that cap they cut you off, with Orange they never cut you off just throttle you down to 256k if you hit the one gig cap during a certain day.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I will be in Santo Domingo but I don't have a cedula, will it be possible to get this service with only a passport? In Panama I spent few time going from store to store until I found one store that accept a passport.

Sorry, I don't know, my husband is Dominican so it wasn't an issue for us.

AE