renting an apartment

lea126

Jul 21, 2011
Im looking to rent an apartment in Bavaro. I have seen a few that interest me, im looking for something inexpensive for the first few months until i find a job. I have contacted a few places and found out that deposits can sometimes be 3 x the rental rate??? Is this normal. Say I wanted a 3 or 6 month lease.....and apartment is 340 dollars.....does it mean i honestly have to pay out over 1500 dollars the first month or are there other ways of doing it? Also, does anyone know of any cheap studios/apartments in the Bavaro area??

Many thanks

mudmommy

Oct 14, 2010
there are some in behind Plaza de Sol, (Veron area i beleive) my husband lives in a "studio" with a/c and running water and hydro for either 100 or 150/ month, and deposit was 300 i beleive,, plus electric bill,, pm me if you want and i can give you his number and you can check it out,,,

lea126

Jul 21, 2011
hi sharkstooth, to be honest i dont mind where i will stay in bavaro just not too far out.el corticito, fruisa i honestly dont care as long as i get a decent enough deal.

Thanks

lea126

Jul 21, 2011
@jackichan I am...the original apartment we had fell through as Im moving out there later than expected its now 7 weeks instead of 3 and i didnt want him to pay out when we werent going to be living there. So i contacted new places and they have told me this information. its more than what he found and i wanted to make sure its correct...the place he found has got someone else going into it now. hes still paying half and the deposit, but i want to make sure its financially viable for both of us...me being without work!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You will have to pay 2 + 1 in Bavaro, possibly 3 + 1, but I wouldn't pay that as there are sufficient apartments to rent, it is a renters market, you could even get away with 1 + 1 if you can Speak Spanish and sell yourself as a risk free tenant.
You mention inexpensive 'Until you find work', you will not find work to cover your living costs so set out to rent what you can pay for with your savings, use your salary to live on and if lucky pay bills.
Plenty of very cheap rooms in Fruisa, but your survival depends how street you are as it can be very rough there and there and it is only getting worse, personally I wouldn't like your chances there.
A lot of the bar staff are homed in Veron by the bars they work for, 4 to a 2 bedroomed apartment n so on. Or you can get a bedroom for yourself for RD2,000 per month, but again I don't like your chances there either.
There are apartments by the beach between Bibijagua and Corticito for $350 p/m which will suit you better, easy to find, just put your walking shoes on and get a moto to the plaza at the Bibijagua turn off and spend the day walking back to Corticito collecting numbers as you pass, there are loads of them.
But yes you will have to pay out around $1000us initial at least almost anywhere. Be sure you have enough saving to cover your rent at least for the duration of your stay as you won't find work to cover it, only to live on, if you are going to struggle to pay out the deposits then I'd forget it until you have that covered. Don't go thinking it will fall into place, it won't unless you are organized, at least financially.

If you are asking if it is financially viable without you working then no it isn't, you need to have this money to burn and some, expect to spend double what you have in your mind, especially if you are going to have the two of you to support once you have made a commitment and can't back out.

Good luck, but don't be daft, think it through before you throw away your hard earned on a passage to nowhere!

Last edited:

lea126

Jul 21, 2011
@Anastacio

Thanks for the reply, I have enough savings to be honest, but I also have my head screwed on and want to keep some aside incase i need it. You never know whats going to happen and prices of flights fluctuate all the time and i never know when i might need to fly home (although the company I currently work with give me very reasonable flights to and from DR)(im on a sabatical)

Work wise I am hoping i have enough contacts out there to find work. I worked there previously for but my company have recently moved over to local contract only and I was offered a job there but have to get my residency first. I also have contacts for other jobs.

I speak good enough spanish so i cant see a problem trying to convince people im a good tenent.

I have friends out there looking for good deals for me aswell just now....so hopefully they will come through with something. Many of them are ex-pats who have also set up out there and I have a few living in El Corticito so i will get numbers from them.

Also i lived there before I feel safe in Fruisa area, i have many dominican/hatian/canadian/british friends out there so I know i will be looked after.

And one important thing....I will not give up everything for a man! this is my life and if a man fits in nicely then so be it........but other than that im going back to the DR as this is where I was happiest working and it was NOTHING to do with the men :)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
@Anastacio

Also i lived there before I feel safe in Fruisa area, i have many dominican/hatian/canadian/british friends out there

Are you sure? very basic questions for someone who has lived here before (I would have thought living here you would have rented an apartment and so know the deposit situation) and has friends on the ground here. No need to convince us of anything, just try not convince yourself all these 'friends' are so if they are merely people you know, sometimes people expect to much and read things very differently.

As far as your fella goes, well you are old enough to make your own mistakes in life, have fun and I hope you get what you are looking for from this, moving here expecting things to fall into place does not happen, it is a very very difficult place to slide into smoothly, expect to lose what you have if you come with no real plans, it takes at least 6 months to a year (at least, if ever) to find yourself and where you fit in, area, job, settled to some extent.
But that's your business

Last edited:

lea126

Jul 21, 2011
thanks again for your comments.

When I lived there before my accomodation was arranged and paid for via my employer. As i said these people are friends, obviously i have acquaintances too in the DR but I also have many friends. As i have said before I lived in the DR for some time, and as you know when you live there the best way to learn about the culture and the really LIVE in the DR is to go out and meet people who live there.

I am not someone who has fallen in love with somebody she has known a week whilst on holiday. I have previosuley lived with my other half before. I was settled in the DR but unfortunatley had to move on for work purposes and to earn some money to save to return to the DR. I am on a 6 month break from work starting in Oct. I have a job to go back to in March if I cant get settled again in the DR.

I have plans, I have contacts in many of the large tour operators, I speak 3 languages and also have contacts in some of the big excursion companies out there. I am on file for when they are hiring again (which is early November) and my resume has been sent to everybody I know. I also have had personal recommendations from my 'friends'.

As you said what I do with my life is my business, what I was actually asking for was advice on renting an apartment....from people who have rented there before, which was the advice you gave me in your first post which was appreciated. I dont need advice on anything else.

Not everybody lives on cloud 9 and jumps into things feet first, some people like myself plan, have a back up plan and think before they do things. I would never have condisered relocating to the DR if I had never lived there before and knew what I know, I have seen the bad and the good in the DR.

And if it does all goe wrong, Im still going to have a job I enjoy.....and friends in a country i love.