Looking for job in DR

jimz215

Aug 14, 2011
I am a 26 year old who has worked in hotel management for the past 2 years. I was the general manager of a 4 villa property in the Caribbean responsible for all sales and operational duties (accounting, payroll, scheduling, hiring outside contractors, etc.). I returned to the US in February of this year.

I am interested in finding a job in the Dominican Republic. I am not opposed to working in any kind of business but feel that I may be best suited for a hotel job due to my prior experience. I also have sales experience and a college degree in Finance and Real Estate.

Any advice on where to start looking and sending resumes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Jim.

jimz215

Aug 14, 2011
Thank you Anastacio. I am looking for a few ideas on where I may send my resume before I come down there. Do you think that I am wasting my time because I am not living there?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Yes, it is difficult enough landing a job when here, I'd say not being here reduces your chances to literally zero, unless extremely specialized and with very good contacts (basically a friend who will hire you).
Best bet is to get a month return ticket, come and stay in cheap accom where ever (you can find okay places for RD1000$ per night without commitment) so you can move elsewhere if you don't like or realize you have a hard task and will be suited better elsewhere.
So all in all, yes, I'd say your chances are very low, but if this is the only option what harm can it do trying in the meantime until you can get here for a while.

Good luck in your search!

Alvasin

Sep 30, 2011
Now, consider your interests and determine if a particular city will cater toward those interests. For example, are you a physician who enjoys international travel or has family overseas? If so, then proximity to an international airport is crucial. Also, living on the east coast often makes traveling to international destinations much easier. It’s also a good idea to assess what you like to do during your free time. (Okay, if you’re fresh out of residency/fellowship you might have forgotten what you like to do during this elusive “free time.” Don’t worry. It will come back to you.) If you enjoy going to the theatre then you should research what sort of performing arts venues a city offers. If grilling out before the big game is your idea of a good time, then finding a locale with a sports pocket might be a good fit.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Now, consider your interests and determine if a particular city will cater toward those interests. For example, are you a physician who enjoys international travel or has family overseas? If so, then proximity to an international airport is crucial. Also, living on the east coast often makes traveling to international destinations much easier. It’s also a good idea to assess what you like to do during your free time. (Okay, if you’re fresh out of residency/fellowship you might have forgotten what you like to do during this elusive “free time.” Don’t worry. It will come back to you.) If you enjoy going to the theatre then you should research what sort of performing arts venues a city offers. If grilling out before the big game is your idea of a good time, then finding a locale with a sports pocket might be a good fit.

A thousand thoughts per second. Your gibberish is not making sense.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey Jim! Since today is Friday and I am going to have a cookout here at the Hovel (Pork Tenerloins, Filet, And Pork Chops on the Barbie! (who cares?)...it will be good), and I am in a good mood, I will tell you the truth. Aided by the first beer of the week!

You have about a snowball's chance in Hell of getting a job by sending out your CV to anybody here in the DR. That will go directly to the "Round File" or "File 13".. in Newyourkese: Forgeddaboutit! It does not work that way here. You need face time to get hired anywhere. Period, EOS, Finito. You get it?

Now, the good news. You start by contacting all the people that have hotels here. And you go to job fairs by hoteliers who are looking for young people willing to take on overseas positions. That is step one.

Step two if you are dead set on coming here is to prepare yourself. You need to be able to live here for 4 to 6 months on your own with little or no income. You need to meet and greet. You need to see who runs the hotels here. THEN maybe you can get an interview and a job.

One reality you should be aware of: There are at least 4 universities here that are preparing students in hospitality, F&B, Hotel Management and such. These are graduates with experience in major hotel chains around the world, including Switzerland, Spain and the US. This is your competition. They have worked in 450 room hotels, not 4 villas. So maybe you should put this into the equation, also.

Wishing you good luck but with your eyes wide open.

HB

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hi Jim, and welcome to DR1...

I agree with the rest, that you're much better off to come down here and do all the work here in person rather that wasting the time trying to apply online.

Having worked in Hospitality PR and Management for quite some time myself, I decided to make the trip back down to the DR to live again, this time in a very different location (a wonderful, peaceful little town called Cabrera :) ) I, too, wanted to apply for things in that field online but most of the time got no reply at all, I mean noooooothing, not even an automated response. Can't hope for those down here! Your best bet is, by far, to research the area you'd feel best in (if you know the country at all already) and set up shop for a few months and do some heavy duty applying.

The North Coast hospitality industry currently isn't doing extremely well, however villas are a little more resilient and you may take a look up here. My bet would be check out down in Punta Cana, etc., where there's a little more money and tourism, and you might be able to find something. Unfortunately, it's true that people here train for work in those specific areas so you might encounter some stiff competition...

Keep your head up, and maybe be prepared to start a little lower in the 'food chain' and a ton less pay down here...but worth it in the end! :)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Okay, I admit to being a bit biassed but would suggest you get hold of the book "FAQ's - Moving To & Living in The Dominican Republic". There is a thread on it here on DR1 you can search for (I would submit the link but I think it would be better for YOU to do the searching!!).

As others have said - you need to BE HERE to become 'Interesting' for possible employers. Contacts are everything in the DR & you can't have good contacts from afar unless you have spent a while living here in the past.

Silly question possibly - are you proficient in Spanish? Your competition will have at least two languages other than their native Spanish.

Good luck ~ Grahame.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Silly question possibly - are you proficient in Spanish? Your competition will have at least two languages other than their native Spanish.

Good luck ~ Grahame.

I think even attempting to find a job here without very good Spanish is a waste of time. Not only for reasons within the competition, but employers will respect the fact you know where you are living and I truely believe it is impossible to know where you are living if you don't speak at least one of the languages of chosen country.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
I think even attempting to find a job here without very good Spanish is a waste of time. Not only for reasons within the competition, but employers will respect the fact you know where you are living and I truely believe it is impossible to know where you are living if you don't speak at least one of the languages of chosen country.

call center...

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

:ermm:
I am a 26 year old who has worked in hotel management for the past 2 years. I was the general manager of a 4 villa property in the Caribbean responsible for all sales and operational duties (accounting, payroll, scheduling, hiring outside contractors, etc.). I returned to the US in February of this year.

I am interested in finding a job in the Dominican Republic. I am not opposed to working in any kind of business but feel that I may be best suited for a hotel job due to my prior experience. I also have sales experience and a college degree in Finance and Real Estate.

Any advice on where to start looking and sending resumes would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Jim.

Don't you think that it would be a good idea to apply directly to hotel chains such as RIU and to use their websites?
Hoteles RIU Hotels & Resorts
- Hoteles RIU Hotels & Resorts
Well, you're 26 and worked in hotel management, I'm sure you can figure it out?