Infrastructure in Santiago

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
I have some question about the infrastructure of Santiago.Electricity is it continous or like the rest of the country prone to blackouts. Water is it provided by city or cistern would I need a water tank.Sewage hookup ,garbage collection ,are construction standards higher than rest of country due to it being in a siesmic zone. I come from a family of brick mason's ,plumber's, carpenter's I'm also experianced in construction and construction codes .

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago is a nice city.
Electricity is like the rest of the country, with some areas receiving 24/7 (in theory)and others with long blackouts. Some areas have excellent water from the city, but for some reason (I think it is waste in the barrios), they have begun to shift service to different sectors. Two years ago we never needed cisterns on the roof. Now, if we don't have them, we can go to bed and wake up with no water. During the days, we do have water all the time here in Los Jardines.
Construction is the same as the rest of the country. It can be good and it can be bad
Maybe you could get together with Chip, who is a Civil Engineer, and start The American Construction Company. Not the worst idea i have ever had, really,

HB

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
The wise move is to have a cistern, some tinacos for the roof, and your own purification system. Also a small power plant and/or an inverter system. I clorinate all water entering my property and double filter it and also UV light it. Have 8K inverter with 24 batteries. be prepaired and you will be okay. Also invest in low consumption bulbs, and emergency lighting.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depending on where you live it is fine. Expensive, but fine. You certainly need to plan well for it to work and keep you comfortable.

HB

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
About condos and gated communities do they have cisterns or back up water systems or are you s.o.l.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Solar power may require lots of expensive panels depending on your needs. One photovoltaic panel of 140W can create power for 3 40 watt bulbs so do the math. Solar also requires batteries to store the power for use, and equipment to move the power around.
There are solar hot water heaters with storage tanks that use no energy.