Nikki Beach Sushi Night

Outlier

Aug 14, 2011
Has anyone been to the Nikki Beach Sushi nights on Friday nights?

Is the sushi fresh? Will my out of town guests coming in from a wedding get sick?

Is it family friendly? I saw pictures of people eating off of models - like body shots...is that just a one off thing or is the whole place like that?

Is there enough food? I'm hoping to set up a 20+ person dinner there on that night, don't want anyone to go hungry

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Sushi at Nikki beach is fresh but should be

1. being much much colder before being cut
2. served immediately when coming to the counter.

There is nothing so annoying as getting not stone cold sushi on your plate and that happened already a few times with me at Nikki beach. It is fresh but like me who is a sushi freak, I hate the fact that they do it not precisely 100 % according to the rules for sushi and I am getting very annoyed by that.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Sorry OP, don't want to ruin your plans for a wonderful evening but I would insist on having an ice bar set up for the sushi that night with some body making the sushi plates on order standing behind it.

Nikki beach is a wonderful place to have a good time but in this case I would stand my grounds if you want good ice cold sushi for every body.

mandymeme

May 28, 2011
skip Nikki Beach and rent out the whole restaurant Called Mira..i think that's the name...its beside jose o shays.....it's WONDERFUL!

beachrunner

Feb 6, 2009
Nikki Beach has the worst sushi I have ever tasted. It is worse than bad supermarket sushi. I agree with Mandymeme that the sushi at Miro's; next door to Nikki Beach is much better than Nikki Beach sushi.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
If Nikki Beach is so good why do they run out of canned crab meat for their crab cakes.

I tried their conch fritters......their dipping sauce was bottled ketchup.

Sushi with mustard must be next next on the Menu....

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Nikki beach has been on a downward spiral for some time. What always disturbed me that they had reasonable prices for mediocre food, but screwed you royally on their prices for drinks, and then added the 26% taxes on top of it.

Never tried Miro's, did try the place next to Gordito's... excellent sushi but prob too small for 20 people and not the ideal location either

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
do they serve it with pickled ginger, in japan this is served to kill any worm that may be in the uncooked fish

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
To the OP: Do not bother eating anything raw in the DR. Someone please recommend a good restaurant that cooks their fish.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
To the OP: Do not bother eating anything raw in the DR. Someone please recommend a good restaurant that cooks their fish.

I have had some good sushi in Santiago and Santo Domingo and I've eaten steak tartar in several German restaurants in Cofresi and at Waterfront in Sosua - and never had a problem.

I've also had some bad sushi. As other posters have said, Mira's is pretty good in Cabarete.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com

Have you ever gotten sick from eating raw food in the DR? I've eaten sushi probably over a hundred times in Santiago, La Romana, Santo Domingo, Cabarete, etc., oysters on the beach of Sosua, and Carpaccio of beef and different fish dozens of times....never had the slightest problem...

As for Sushi in Cabarete, Yamazato (Ocean Dream), Miro, and Nikki are all fine, but none are great compared to good sushi in the US...or even some of the better places in Santiago or SD.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
yamazato certainly is the best sushi around cabarete, but as I said not the location for 20 people...

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Niki Beach in Cabarete Needs to Be Closed If There is A Noise Ordinance!

THEY BLAST LATE NIGHT DISCO MUSIC DURING THE DAY!

I WAS TRYING TO ENJOY A PEACEFUL DAY AT THE BEACH BUT NIKKI BEACH RUINED THE DAY!.

These two Ditzy girls run around like a parrot fish on a polluted reef!

If I want to spend more than you should..... I go to Jose...where's the corned beef Oshays and enjoy the draft

miozio

May 23, 2009
Apart from a poor girl suffering on the table with fish stuck to her (we ordered from the waiter) some type of rolls had fish bones in them, we will never go again.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Niki Beach in Cabarete Needs to Be Closed If There is A Noise Ordinance!

THEY BLAST LATE NIGHT DISCO MUSIC DURING THE DAY!

Well, enjoy the silence, I think Nikki left the building. RIP. Sad but not surprising

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
The timing is weird to say the least. Closing just before the real high season starts?!?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If you go to Miro with 20+ people, I would advise you to let them know you are coming as they could unprepared for a party of that size.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have had some good sushi in Santiago and Santo Domingo and I've eaten steak tartar in several German restaurants in Cofresi and at Waterfront in Sosua - and never had a problem.

I've also had some bad sushi. As other posters have said, Mira's is pretty good in Cabarete.
You might want to add Las Canas (For steak tartar) You chose what you want in it or they bring the ingedients you select and let you make it yourself at the table. Worked for me. ;)