People always ask me why I like the DR!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I start off by saying it's the greenest and least expensive island in the Caribbean.

Then a brief discription of the different areas you can choose to live but when they here my story about going to los Charimicos for a Chicken Dinner With Rice and Beans and Salad for only $ 2.89 U.S that's what sells the ....whatever!

Disclaimer.... the Peso is at 38 pesos per dollar as of todays date and todays chicken dinner is priced at $RD 110 which makes this a Strong Buy

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I agree it is great to be able to go out and have a nice dinner without spending a fortune, but for me the big seller here is still the local people. The fact that everybody knows each other, greets each other, helps each other, and have fun together.

In Europe I did not even know my neighbors name...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I get "not" to pick why, since I was born here and MUST love it or else! LOL!

I have yet to find a country where you can virtually smell xmass and the excitement of the holidays like here!

I have yet to find a spot in the world where you virtually don't need an excuse to make a party and have fun in it as well!

I have yet to find a place where you can actually go back home again, like you do in the DR! Even to your old room!

But the biggest pleasure is to be able to watch the stars twinkle, any given night when I look up in the sky!

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
I can drink an alcoholic beverage, in plain sight, walking down the street and the cops just don't care........I don't do it all the time, but the fact is I CAN do it when I want to.......

That 9 times out of 10, it's a sunshiney day..........

How they still serve soda pop in glass bottles at restaurants and bars.........

The way that Dominican women will crinkle their nose when they look at you when they don't understand what you said......

Cheap public transportation..........

Open air bars and restaurants, sidewalk cafes........

The way passengers clap and whistle when your plane touches down in Puerto Plata..........

The night life.........

.....and best of all, I can wear a coffee can around my neck, to serve as an emergency bano, and nobody notices it..........

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
........and best of all, I can wear a coffee can around my neck, to serve as an emergency bano, and nobody notices it..........

I think you're taking the... well ... pi$$.

A video would clear up all doubts. :squareeye

Colmados are everywhere and you can buy products in small amounts.
Where else can you see a bruto* in a US $60,000 Yipeta wheel up to a colmado and buy 1 cigarette.

brutus politicanus - an uneducated brute who never worked a day in his life who is part of a politician's entourage often as a driver and usually wearing an ill fitting suit

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Chicken Dinner With Rice and Beans and Salad

people always ask me why i hate DR so much. i tell them that whenever i want to eat a cheap meal it ALWAYS has f***ing rice in in. rice, always darn rice. I HATE RICE.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Where else can a 50+ year-old, obese, balding male carry on interpersonal relationships with a 30 year younger female and not be socially stigmatized?

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
What about those females? Do they get stigmatized? Or everyone thinks they got a "good catch."

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The DR's conspicuous lack of sour faces and sour armpit odour - a few weeks in Europe in summer makes me appreciate it even more.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I like the entire atmosphere in the RD, for me it is time off work. Dominican people are very friendly and helpful, water is nice and warm, not like around New Jersey shore.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I like the entire atmosphere in the RD, for me it is time off work. Dominican people are very friendly and helpful, water is nice and warm, not like around New Jersey shore.

I live at the Jersey Shore Alyonka, short walk to the boardwalk. My [Dominican] husband hasn't been in the ocean here in 30+ years, the water disgusts him. I can't blame him.

For me, it's the atmosphere there too. Where we live in DR the pace is very slow, no rat-race. No traffic, except the weekends when the Capitalenos invade the beach. I love the simplicity of the lifestyle there. The fresh fruits and vegetables sold on the roadsides and on little tables in front of houses. Fresh-killed chickens, goats, pigs always available. Pretty beaches. Peace and quiet. Great coffee.

If we're looking for a change, mountains and cities are a short hop-skip-jump.

Best of all worlds.

AE

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I like the feeling of superior dress sense I have over everyone. I like to beable to drive a car with no wing panels, engine hood, bumpers or back doors through the streets of the capital and no one blinks and eye, infact people try to jump in when I stop it is that cool:p. No matter how bad my hangovers are I never once consider that will be my last drink. Crazy slutty make up is a turn on. It rarely rains all day. I don't need to worry about the dog catchers steeling my dogs when not on a leash. Fresh chicken delivered to my door every other day, fresh pork delivered every other day. Chicherones is a national celebration, not a pub grub. Dancing in the street every Sunday afternoon, or any other time I feel like it is normal. People are generally quite tough, no whinning or days off ill, a man or woman could be dying infront of you but ask him if he is okay and he will tell you fine (generally older generation).

papi201

Dec 2, 2010
Ever been to Portugal? The least expensive European country, nice cheap food and lots of sol... That language though is so strange...

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
...........Did I mention I can wear a coffee can around my neck, to serve as an emergency bano, and nobody notices it?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.