Do you have a softspot, did you settle?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Where you first landed here. Something someone said elsewhere got me thinking maybe I'm not the only one who has a soft spot for the place they landed at originally, even if it is far from ideal, or anywhere near the nicest place you now know of.

No matter what Sosua spits out I always have a soft spot for the place. I remember hating the place at times when I lived there but it is where I decided to come back to and try to live for a while. Although now I know it is not a viable place for me to live and I wouldn't want to be there permanently, I am still very fond and have some wonderful memories of the place, more so than anywhere else I've been/lived/experienced here. Yet I never visit these days, time moves on, I think I am worried that I will be disappointed and would prefer to rember it as it was some years ago.

Anyway, did you settle where you first landed, has your first impression changed? I expect so!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i first visited for holidays (november) i did not like DR: too hot and too boring. then i moved in (july) and i hated it: extremely hot and extremely boring.
then i went to santiago. people. shops. things. it was love at first sight. to this day i do not like POP much, my big, juicy soft spot is santiago, ciudad de corazon. i would really love to live there. but alas, we are tied up in POP - house, jobs, business :(

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
when i first visited for holidays (november) i did not like DR: too hot and too boring. then i moved in (july) and i hated it: extremely hot and extremely boring.
then i went to santiago. people. shops. things. it was love at first sight. to this day i do not like POP much, my big, juicy soft spot is santiago, ciudad de corazon. i would really love to live there. but alas, we are tied up in POP - house, jobs, business :(

At least you have the Belgian bakery now :)
Why not go for a second house in Santiago, surely you can convince your husband for that, you can be very persistent ;)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Did you settle where you first landed? No
Has your first impression changed? Yes and No, find Jarabacoa still a lovely town with very friendly people, had very good contact with the Dominican inhabitants of the town which I miss for the moment a bit here on the Coast but overall, I am much happier at the coast as I have never been a mountain girl, but no regrets. We made the right choice. Jarabacoa will be always on our list to visit friends and to escape the heat from the coast if it gets to hot but that's it.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

Boring? In which cave are you being held, you can say a lot of things about the DR but boring is definitely not one of them...

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
why confine yourself to one place, why did you rush in and buy in pop and then rubbish it?.................AS MY MUM SAYS FOOLS RUSH IN.

You didnt pay attention. She didnt say she bought there, she said she stayed there because her husband ran a business there. And I concur Porto Plata is a boring place. Nothing to do but get into gangfights and swelter in the heat.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
I came first to Cabarete, lived there for a year. Only thing i somewhat like about Cab is Janets and beach discos, ocean is good only for kiters, swimming is unpleasant experience, water is not clear, wavy and too many kites (dangerous). It is boring too! 1 street, 1 supermarket couple of discos that play SAME music for YEARS every night same songs. Food is crap. I ate in all beach restaurants - didnt enjoy (with rear exceptions, some day lax makes good pizza, papis shrimps and Otra Cosa is very good, but too expensive. They say Nikki is good.. but i had 3 meals there - didnt like any). Now i live between Sosua and Cabarete and i like it only because of apartment we live in, its very nice and as i spend most of the times indoors so it is all i need. I like small beach in Sosua where they made new Park. So i dont wanna move no-where. Im still close to Jantes and discos and to my fav beach and kid's school. But still DR is boring. If i had choice i would live in DR only 6-9 months a year and 6-3 others in US or EU to not feel cut off of civilization. I like Santiago much more, but there is no beach... so not an option.

Aug 4, 2011
I like to live here in Bavaro, I have tall walls so I do what no one sees in my pool and I can wear nothing in the day and cloth myself in evening for meetings

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Boring? In which cave are you being held, you can say a lot of things about the DR but boring is definitely not one of them...

"you don't know, man, you weren't there" cries dv8 and then breaks into tears as the police officers take her away :)