Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesslenz

Aug 19, 2011
Hello everyone,
I'm planning on visiting DR in Puerta Plata. I'm wondering what the weather is currently like and if I should worry about any hurricanes? Please let me know so I can plan my trip accordingly. I'm excited to see the natural beauty of the DR and can't wait to experience the culture for the first time! Buenos Dias!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
It's hot with a small chance of rain. No hurricanes have hit Puerto Plata in decades.

jesslenz

Aug 19, 2011
Thank you so much! This is the first time I am traveling outside of the United States and its for my honeymoon. I have the worst luck so when I was researching the hurricane history, it said that the most likely months for occurance is August and September. I'm coming from August 31st until September 8th. LOL. Just my luck. You have me feeling relieved so I thank you!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Jesslenz,
The 31st to 8th September is dfficult to forcast but you don?t need to bring the jumpers! I posted a number of longer range forcasts for Lynn and I hope she has a good week in Punta Cana ? Hurricane Irene will have gone by the 23rd when Lynn arrives as I predicted.
I posted something for DR-Mpe on the Hurricane thread and it looks like now what is 98L will not develop and has been stuck in dry air around the Cape Verde Islands or go north.

The Google forcasts are actually rubbish for Puerto Plata and do a great dis-service to the north coast.
We have been keeping rainfall statisitics for a number of years and the 30% chance of rain often quoted by Google Weather for Puerto Plata is in fact more like 5% this time of year although it does pick up in September. September is 7th in our league table for being the driest month with a four year average of 10 inches in the month. August has on average for the last four years been the driest month of all.
Mount Isabel, influences the weather in Puerto Plata and afternoon thunderstoms are more common there. We are a bit further east.

But looking further out the next system to come off the African coast is more likely to develop but it is about 10 -12 days away from Peurto Plata so would be in your time frame.
Hard to predict it at this stage ! It may go like 98L and dissappear in a cloud of sahara dust!

?What is the song ? Hurricanes Hardly ever happen? - well it is like that here ? any way you will have missed Hurricane Irene!!

OLLY

jesslenz

Aug 19, 2011
Muchas Gracias!!!!

Thank you so much Olly! I truly appreciate the information. I am really excited to see the DR and will love it rain or shine!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Jesslenz,
Well the ones I commented on earlier have disappeared but TD #12 has just been born. This one looks as if it will track this way and there is not much dry air /Sahara Dust to stop it this time. Probably be around DR area in about 8 days time but the track has it going north of here on the North Caast but it is worth watching. Eight days would put it around the 6th if it keeps its 15 mph speed up!
At present we have great weather in Sosua Cabarete area, temperatures getting up to low 90's, a bit humid and resasonable breezes. during your time frame 31st to 8th there will probably be pop up Thunderstorms late afternoon around Puerto Plata but they usually dont last long.

So enjoy!

OLLY

jesslenz

Aug 19, 2011
Hey Olly good morning!!

So our flight leaves tonight and we are DR bound! I've been keeping an eye on the hurricane Katia as you have recommended, and I'm not going to lie, I'm a little nervous. How funny is it that I had questioned the weather and the person that responded prior to you basically laughed in my face and told me to bring my jumpers, and now look. SEE this is why I NEVER doubt mother natured is ready to throw a rock in my direction. Anyways I wanted to see what you are thinking at this point, are we in the clear? You seem pretty knowledgable in this area and I wanted to get your honest opinion. My 3 year old was talking in her sleep this morning and said "I don't want to fly up in the air" and now I am thinking that maybe this is a sign. Let me know. I know its overly paranoid, but like I said you never know. Hope your day is going well and hope to hear from you soon. Thanks!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
jesslenz,
The weather here between Sosua and Cabarete in great today with light breeze, calm sea and bright sunshine - not too hot at the moment ! Looking forward - it looks as if it will be bright and sunny only with an occaisional thunderstorm near Puerto Plata during next week.

TS Katia looks as if it will track north an miss by 400 miles based on present predicitions so there might be a bit of high cloud on 5,6 over DR and Puerto Plata. So I would look forward to a great holiday!!!

OLLY

Status
Not open for further replies.