Bicycles

rdublin

Aug 19, 2011
I own a ministry organization and we would like to buy about 250 bicycles for the children we know in the Dominican. Where can I buy that many bikes at varying sizes in the DR?

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
bicycles, buyer beware, you get what you pay for, an average kid will destroy a RD$1,500 bicycle in only hours of use, there is a lot of junk here. Good Costs Bucks, but for 250 bicycles, I would guess your options could be:

1. Import a 20 ft container full of bicycles
or
2. make a great deal with a local supplier, just check very well the quality issue.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello, I owned a bike store in Wisconsin for 15 years. I would not jeopardize my life biking here (and I am a good biker), nor would the bikes be able to be repaired properly, and then there is the issue, as was mentioned, of size of families.

I am thinking of bigger cities as I write, however smaller towns would still have many of the same problems, and theft as well.

As you suggested bikes, it is apparent that you don't know the DR that well. (Certainly no offense meant.) You may want to talk to some of the local relief agencies to get a feel for what is needed. An internet search should work well to get contact numbers.

Hope I helped, tom ....to the people who posted inconsiderate remarks, WOW!!: This person is trying to help kids right here in the DR!!

Last edited:

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
School supplies and books are probably a better investment. Years ago, a group was criticized for providing boys with shoeshine kits. Seemed logical to me so these kids progressed from begging to earning a few pesos.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
to do the right thing is very difficult. I think every kid in the civilized world benefits from lemonade stands and newspaper routes. I heard someone say that the kids that peddle trinkets and shine shoes are often controlled by laze adult family members and greedy entrepreneurs and at the end of the day they have to turn over their hard earned money or get a beating. Whether true or not when I look at the shoe shine boys now it is mixed with a bit of sorrow as well as feeling you are helping them out. One just never seems to know the whole story or one just never seems to be able to do just the right thing.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
What ever happened to the ministry that was to open a free dental clinic in Puerto Plata, are they still doing a feasibility study?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Tambo, I run a "different" ministry that does one or two free dental clinics a year in Puerto Plata. If you are really interested in helping, I can put you in touch with the US dental school involved. Maybe you'd like to help support a student's trip to work from 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM from Monday to Thursday and treat hundreds of people? The trip in March of 2011 treated over 500 people in four days.

(I know you were being a bit snide, but couldn't resist answering :laugh:)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The next post will ask for "Donations" to help buy the bikes!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC