Post Thanks / Like

Default Internet Center/Cafe

Hi all. I've been searching the forums and the rest of the internet, but have yet to find the answers that I've been looking for. I've been mulling the idea of opening an internet cafe in the D.R. for quite some time now. Does anyone have any experience opening or running a successful internet cafe? I would appreciate any advice anyone can provide as to what steps you took to get everything setup, general start-up costs, and downfalls to running such a business.
    I am think about opening one either in Santiago or San Francisco de Macoris. Since I live and work in the U.S., I wouldn't be there to run the day-to-day operations, and would probably leave a family member running it in my absence.
    Thanks again for any info you can provide.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Goris View Post
    Since I live and work in the U.S., I wouldn't be there to run the day-to-day operations, and would probably leave a family member running it in my absence.
    Running or ruining?
    Internet are a dime a dozen in the DR by now...

donP

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Goris View Post
    I wouldn't be there to run the day-to-day operations, and would probably leave a family member running it in my absence.
    Thanks again for any info you can provide.
    This will be your downfall.
    You must micromanage every aspect of a cash business in the D.R.
    The tourist areas are saturated with cyber cafés and the barrio cyber cafés are so cheap as to turn over virtually nothing.

Don't want to sound pessimistic but.........

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if I were to do it in Santiago, it would definitely be in the barrio that my parents live in, and it would probably be 2 or 3 computers. I'm not expecting to get rich off of this. I'm really just looking for something to entertain myself with, and hopefully bolster a cantina my mom wants to open in one of my parents' vacant properties.
    Speaking about tourist areas, does anyone know of any "gaming centers" that exist, like the ones we have here in the US. You know, where people go to play online computer games, xbox live, ps3, etc? I think this would be a good idea for kids that are traveling with their parents, but aren't into the clubbing and things of that sort.

Post Thanks / Like

A good idea 10 or 12 years ago. Not now. You need to locate near an institution of higher learning and they are like bellybuttons now, everyone has one.

Keep thinking.

HB
    Moderator DR1.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

this type of business really only works in rural area where internet service is out of reach $$ for the common folks