Papers For Some Residents Have Been Deleted From The SystemS

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Several posters have reported in another thread that when they went to immigration to renew their residency they were told they would have to start all over because for one reason or another the records of some residents have been deleted from the system.

Hardly seems right that residents, through no fault of their own, must experience the anxiety and expense due to a problem in immigration. Also, all of us who have not yet needed to renew since the problem occurred are anxious about whether we are in the system still.

Your thoughts on this, especially for those of us who find we have been deleted, will be greatly appreciated.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I will be calling my lawyer on Monday to check my status.... lost or found !!??

I have a June 2012 expiry.

Its just one trip once the application goes through, isn't it ??

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Neglected to include this question in my thread starter: If someone's papers have been deleted but still has a year or two before renewal date on the residency carnet, are they really a resident?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
If the residency is legal, I should think that the lawyer who assisted you can show the Immigration Department copies of the documentation and avoid having to file a new application. I have no knowledge of actual instances of this happening, though.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
According to the OP of the linked thread, who was told his records were deleted:

Bok said:
...I do know that my residency is legal since I used Guzman & Ariza to get it. And I did renew it on my own without problems 2 years ago (guess you can't do that with a fake).

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/117000-residency-renewal-problems.html#post995896

Also, see the report that came out in the press. Interestingly the husband of the president of ANJE is in the same plight:

z101digital - En Migraci?n extrav?an archivos de extranjeros

En situaci?n similar se encuentra el esposo de la presidenta de la Asociaci?n de J?venes Empresarios, Lara Guerrero, quien cont? que su marido lleva varias semanas con el intento de renovar su status legal y le dijeron que se perdieron los archivos.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If the residency is legal, I should think that the lawyer who assisted you can show the Immigration Department copies of the documentation and avoid having to file a new application. I have no knowledge of actual instances of this happening, though.

Very glad that I used Guzman rather than one of the cheapies to get my residency. Not only am I sure it is legal, but also that they have documentation to prove it was issued legally.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Very glad that I used Guzman rather than one of the cheapies to get my residency. Not only am I sure it is legal, but also that they have documentation to prove it was issued legally.

Absolutely! As I have always said, you have to pay a little extra for peace of mind.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Just to update this thread, I renewed my residency on Monday and had no problems at all. In less than an hour I had my new card in hand. Cost was of RD$4,000 + $1,000 VIP + $300 because it had expired in August. What a relief!!