Playero, BEWARE cautionary tale

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
Bought a large joint of "Matured" topside of beef roast for Sunday dinner (British thing, hard to explain). RD$556, not exactly cheap, btw. OK purchased it on Saturday put in fridge, in Sunday pull it out to marinade, cover in Mustard, Garlic etc and noticed a bit of an unpleasant pong but put it down to being in plastic and pop it in the oven. Take it out to serve and cut into it WOW smells like 2 week old dead dog - the sort you get driving down the highway from time to time.
Never mind, put back in fridge to return to Playero for a refund on Monday, (miraculously I found the receipt) except this doesn't happen because Playero has seen fit to close for the hurricane. (Irene, remember that one?) So go back Tuesday and explain to the Waffen SS man masquerading as the floor manager, he says can't refund as I would have had to have brought it back on Saturday. Patiently explain British tradition of eating beef on a Sunday and not actually cooking it until the required day, then about eating at 8.30 at night Sunday and Playero being shut Monday afternoon.

As "A GREAT FAVOUR" he agrees to refund me (actually a credit, not cash), he takes the dead dog that I have brought back, puts it on the scales and gives me a credit for the cooked weight!!!!

Wow, good customer relations exercise, Playero

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Bought a large joint of "Matured" topside of beef roast for Sunday dinner (British thing, hard to explain). RD$556, not exactly cheap, btw. OK purchased it on Saturday put in fridge, in Sunday pull it out to marinade, cover in Mustard, Garlic etc and noticed a bit of an unpleasant pong but put it down to being in plastic and pop it in the oven. Take it out to serve and cut into it WOW smells like 2 week old dead dog - the sort you get driving down the highway from time to time.
Never mind, put back in fridge to return to Playero for a refund on Monday, (miraculously I found the receipt) except this doesn't happen because Playero has seen fit to close for the hurricane. (Irene, remember that one?) So go back Tuesday and explain to the Waffen SS man masquerading as the floor manager, he says can't refund as I would have had to have brought it back on Saturday. Patiently explain British tradition of eating beef on a Sunday and not actually cooking it until the required day, then about eating at 8.30 at night Sunday and Playero being shut Monday afternoon.

As "A GREAT FAVOUR" he agrees to refund me (actually a credit, not cash), he takes the dead dog that I have brought back, puts it on the scales and gives me a credit for the cooked weight!!!!

Wow, good customer relations exercise, Playero
Makes me want to puke and laugh. I'm trying not do both at the same time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Playero has never been my favorite place to shop. Just one more example of why not.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I am friends with the owners of Playero. When I read the OP's post this morning I knew this was something they would want to know about. Here is the response:

"I really appreciate you showing me this post on the dr1 forum. I am going to find out what happened here because the return of the product should have been dealt differently. Our customer relations are actually really important to us. We are receptive to all criticisms and take them into account when making changes. This one will for sure be taken into account as well."

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I am friends with the owners of Playero. When I read the OP's post this morning I knew this was something they would want to know about. Here is the response:

"I really appreciate you showing me this post on the dr1 forum. I am going to find out what happened here because the return of the product should have been dealt differently. Our customer relations are actually really important to us. We are receptive to all criticisms and take them into account when making changes. This one will for sure be taken into account as well."

Why would that matter? The refund should be based upon the receipt! Non-negotiable!

I think the manager has spoken to his determination to keep working on the customer service.

Training employees in the DR is like the Sistine Chapel ceiling. It's a long term project but unlike the SCc it's never complete. :cross-eye

Jan 17, 2009
I think the manager has spoken to his determination to keep working on the customer service.

Training employees in the DR is like the Sistine Chapel ceiling. It's a long term project but unlike the SCc it's never complete. :cross-eye

Couldn't agree more!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
So go back Tuesday and explain to the Waffen SS man masquerading as the floor manager, he says can't refund as I would have had to have brought it back on Saturday.
In Sosua you might want to be more sensitive to referring to someone as a member of the Nazi party. Many locals are decendants of those who escaped.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
In Sosua you might want to be more sensitive to referring to someone as a member of the Nazi party. Many locals are decendants of those who escaped.
Those who escaped from the Nazis I suppose you mean, not escaped nazis after the war....

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Whats the difference between the cooked weight and the purchase weight? in dollars?

after you cook it all the juices, and fat get removed weighing less therefore refunding less. I'm not familiar with the piece OP bought/cooked but depending on the cut lots of fat and water could have been lost.

The Manager really wanted to get OP. I never heard of someone returning cooked meat to a butcher but this guy was trying to outright steal from OP for refunding the 'cooked' weight only.

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007

Well they are very welcome to contact me directly or through this column. I promise to report their response promptly and accurately in this thread, can't really say fairer than that. I used the Waffen SS tongue in cheek and I aplogise if it caused offence, any one who has laughed at shows like "Allo Allo" etc will appreciate that there is humour in attacking arrogance. I definintely got the old raised upper lip that Dominican's do so well

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
If You want Edible beef you have to go to La Serena in Pop.

Playero had American beef steaks that sold out in 2 days and then they stopped.

If you have a product that flys off the shelves like American Beef ...then you should close all of the discos !

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
I'm siding with the Dominican worker on this one. Surely at some point the meal you buy has gone through a chemical or biological change of state that you can't return it?

I mean you seasoned it? and cooked it? and expect a refund because it smelled bad? How does he know you didn't use toilet water by accident to clean it? Where does their liability stop? You eat it, don't like it, and complain that it gives you rotten bowels, and hope to take back your 'effluent' and chuckle that he wants to weigh your turd instead of give you the refund at the receipt price?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
try this stunt in the US and you'll probably be arrested. you cooked it and want a refund ? thats just plain crazy :ermm:

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
I'm siding with the Dominican worker on this one. Surely at some point the meal you buy has gone through a chemical or biological change of state that you can't return it?

I mean you seasoned it? and cooked it? and expect a refund because it smelled bad? How does he know you didn't use toilet water by accident to clean it? Where does their liability stop? You eat it, don't like it, and complain that it gives you rotten bowels, and hope to take back your 'effluent' and chuckle that he wants to weigh your turd instead of give you the refund at the receipt price?

Ridiculous. The meat was rancid, and heating it brought out the worst of it. I would side with the Dominican worker only if he took the meat home and fed his family with it after giving the partial refund.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
try this stunt in the US and you'll probably be arrested. you cooked it and want a refund ? thats just plain crazy :ermm:

Actually, you are wrong on this, Food Emporium (GAPTQ.PK) takes back anything!

I sauteed a whole package of chopped meat for chili and I thought it smelled funky, I brought back the cooked meat and wrapper, and got a refund with a smile.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Uncooked and rancid you may have had a "beef" with Playero, so to speak.
Cooked and returned you were lucky to get anything - be happy.

Next time, smell the meat before you cook it and if it smells off then do not cook it. Durrrr.

I just love the big topics.....

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
OK......Let me get this straight. You buy some meat that smells rancid and then you season and cook it and it smells off, so you take it back and they refund your money. Then you call them Nazis. Are you freakin serious.

Don't ask it's an English thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.