Immigrating to Canada from the DR - is it possible for an unskilled couple with kids?

Lorna R

Dec 12, 2007
I am Canadian, I have friends in the DR that are married, with 2 children. They are unskilled, struggling financially and desperately want to move to Canada to better their lives financially. Is this even possible? Does anyone know of anyone who has done this? What can I do to help them make this dream happen?
Thanks!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am Canadian, I have friends in the DR that are married, with 2 children. They are unskilled, struggling financially and desperately want to move to Canada to better their lives financially. Is this even possible? Does anyone know of anyone who has done this? What can I do to help them make this dream happen?
Thanks!
No it is not possible. They don't qualify as refugees, they have no skills, probably are not functional in English or French. What have they got to offer Canada. If the man has experience on oil rigs, perhaps through a hiring agency he could get a job in Alberta- highly doubtful though.

Lorna R

Dec 12, 2007
No it is not possible. They don't qualify as refugees, they have no skills, probably are not functional in English or French. What have they got to offer Canada. If the man has experience on oil rigs, perhaps through a hiring agency he could get a job in Alberta- highly doubtful though.

Can I as an adult Canadian adopt an adult from the DR and then bring them to Canada?

Lorna R

Dec 12, 2007
how sad that there is no way to make it happen for them. How do any of the people from the DR immigrate to Canada. Toronto and Montreal have a large group from the DR, they can not all be wealthy and highly educated can they?

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
how sad that there is no way to make it happen for them. How do any of the people from the DR immigrate to Canada. Toronto and Montreal have a large group from the DR, they can not all be wealthy and highly educated can they?

The only way it could happen. get a divorce and married the Dominican, then your husband can married the Dominicana. y problema resuelto.
Sorry, I couldnt resist.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
As Johnny jokingly mentioned, many Dominicans living in Canada are/were married to a Canadian and that very much facilitates the process. However, not ALL married Canadian/Dominicans can get their residency, it's not that simple, and the Canadian is then responsible financially and legally for many, many years (even if they get divorced). In the case of the couple you mention, the government analyzes how much of a responsibility they would be once they get up there. If a couple is not skilled and can't work to sustain themselves, then the government (or rather tax paying Canadian citizens) will need to give them economic help until they get good jobs (which in some cases is never). If Canada were to accept all residency requests that they receive, it would unfortunately be full of people living off the the government. It's the cruel reality but it's true. For more information, you can visit Welcome Page | Page d'accueil .

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Well you have to have some rules and requirements for permanent Immigration, otherwise you would have millions of poor people arriving and crushing the welfare system. The burden on the State would be intolerable, not to speak of the cultural ramifications.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks!

Canada has about 900,000 applications backlog from people all over the world that dream of a better life in Canada but our quota is around 2 to 250,000 a year. Unfortunately without skills or education they will NOT have a better life here as a family and it's damn cold too. Perhaps you could help out with one or both getting some skills in the DR so they can have a better life in their own country. Not saying this to be mean but it's the reality these days.

Good luck

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't know how it happens.... but it happens.
Bob may be right... in their efforts to 'fair and equitable' they lean towards minorities (hence my rant about being in the minority)
Like the US college admissions debacle a few years back.

What happens on entry into Canada has NEVER happened to me on entry into the US... they are 'boy next door'types.
I have yet to be questioned by a person wearing tradtional or cultural clothing.... they're all in official US uniform.... they are of various backgrounds and colors....
But their native tongue is English...

If I knew how to apply for those jobs, I would post it here for the OP's benefit

I do not understand the tight restrictions imposed on Dominicanos by both the US and Canada.
Seems pointless to me.... given that the mandated immigration 'quota' in Canada is what? 2-3% of the population annually??

Perhaps some one can enlighten me..... but please....... no big words until I get my dictionary open!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I know many friends from the UK that have relocated to Canada, most tradesmen, highly experienced and qualified (rules out Dominican trained), another option I have friends working at is lorry driving and big plant driving, Does a dominican License in these areas hold up to international specification or not? I wouldn't know. I have worked on the lorries here and found that the drivers are lacking in H&S in every area, yet can squeeze through any tiny town just as well as I can. Maybe if he got his official cards (where here I dunno, I got mine years ago in Spain and UK) as I know Canada is screaming out for good drivers.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Some people are lucky and sometime get their visas to travel abroad including Canada I am a Dominican and I have a 10 years multiple entry visa to the USA. I do not know the procedure to get a visa to work and live in Canada but is not simple specially if you do have anything to offer to that country. They can still try it nobody knows.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Check out canadavisa.com. It is a forum dealing with all forms of visas into canada.... working, temporary, etc etc etc.... there are experts on there who specialize in what is required for the different visas into Canada. Perhaps you'll want to start with simply reading the pages of information and then ask a question more specific to your friends. It's a wonderful resource. Canada Immigration Forum - Index

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
The only shot they might have is if the woman speaks english/french and has proven child care experience.
She may qualify for a temporary work visa as a caregiver. If she was successful with that she could apply for permanent residency after 2 years and then sponsor her husband and children.

If they have no other "desired skills" (as per the list of skills Canada is looking for) then the above would be the only other way as you can't adopt an adult and you can only sponsor family.

Hiring a live-in caregiver - Who can apply

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Caregiver seems like the only route, but is not either easy. Asides from proven experience, there is a requirement for proven education, and language proficiency.

The process takes so damn long that in the same amount of time that it would take to qualify for a visa, they could improve their skills, and economic situation in the DR, and maybe then qualify.

But really there is no other way, other than going some convoluted route of trying to qualify for some other category that they don't already qualify.

College courses and second language training will both improve outcomes in the DR, and chances of leaving the DR.

You can check everywhere you want, but these are the facts. It sucks, but that's just how it is.

I don't know who is propagating the myth that "canada necesita trabajadores" but its not entirely true, we want skilled labour, our unskilled labour comes from Mexico and Jamaica, possibly guatemala, DR isn't on that list.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The US has reduced its total immigrant visas down... and there is a movement to issue them to HIGHER educated people.. to keep, for instance, the people who come to the US for their higher education .. in the USA.

guess we have enough cab drivers in NYC now