children Ciizenship

El commandante

Oct 17, 2004
Hello Everyone, My wife and I are citizens in D.R. I am natural born and she by marriage. When should I consider making my children (8,4) citizens here due to them being born in the U.S. thanks.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
You can do that any time you want before they turn 18. The process isn't difficult or time consuming. I posted the steps & fees required to accomplish this for Shalena in another tread I'll re-post it here for your benefit. Good Luck.

Shalena, I've done the process a few times. It's called 'Trasncripcion del acta de nacimiento extranjera'.
From memory the steps are:
  • Get a birth certificate in extensa where the child was born.
  • If the birth certificate is in any language other than spanish have it translated into spanish by a court recognized translator. (~RD$600)
  • Take the original birth certificate to 'cansilleria' and have them certify it. (~RD$800)
  • Take the legal translation of the Birth certificate to the 'Procuradoria General De La Republica' and have the translator verified. (~RD$300? don't recall)
  • Take birth certificate, translation of birth certificate and a copy of Dominican parent cedula to 'Junta Central Electoral' (JCE) on Plaza de la Bandera on 27 Febrero in Stanto Domingo.
  • Fill in a petition of 'Transcripcion de Acta de Nacimiento. Have handy the 'Oficialia Civil' office number you'll be registering the birth at. You'll need it to complete the petition.
  • Pay a small fee (RD$500) deposit the petition and you'll be given a date to return.

The wait is usually 2-3 weeks. If all is well you'll be given a sealed envelope to take to the office of the 'Oficialia Civil' you listed in your original petition. When you arrive at the Oficialia Civil tell the clerk that you would like to transcribe a foreign birth certificate and you have the envelope from JCE. The process in the Civil Registry wil take about 1 hour and you'll walk out with a Dominican birth certificate for your child.

NotLrking

Thread for ref: http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/116802-4-questions.html

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As long as you do not lose the right to those nice blue passports that say "United States of America" on the cover, you can apply for passports at any time.
There are some advantages: They will not need residency papers. They can travel freely back and forth.

HB