Importing via your suitcase ?

rover

Aug 19, 2007
I found these real cool door/window alarms in the dollar store that work really well and I use them if I'm in a hotel that I may have an uneasy vibe in. They are loud and run off 3 watch batteries.

I had a few in my suitcase my last trip and gave em to the GF. She sold them at a 500% mark up.

If I threw 100 of them in my suitcase and brought them down next trip would the customs in the D.R. hassle/shake me down ??

OR are you allowed up to a certain value duty free coming in ??

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Maybe and maybe not. I would bring a few more of them, but maybe not 100. I know a few people that make a living from suitcase importing...so yeah, you probably could do it as long as you don't get x-rayed...

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Maybe and maybe not. I would bring a few more of them, but maybe not 100. I know a few people that make a living from suitcase importing...so yeah, you probably could do it as long as you don't get x-rayed...

HB
I agree. Alida's neice does well in clothing through "suitcase importing."

But with a 500% markup, why not just import them legally?

rover

Aug 19, 2007
I will be paying about $90.00 U.S. for them so i could bring the reciept and either say they are samples to be given to stores "OR" they are inexpensive gifts.

I was just wondering what they would do if they discovered them.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"IMPORT", one "LAPTOP".
THAT, is "legal",easy to sell, no hassel,no suitcase to pack,and you can still make the same money!
I brought two laptops,plus a 3G Kindle 3 weeks ago,Santo Domingo,."No Problemo"!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
"IMPORT", one "LAPTOP".
THAT, is "legal",easy to sell, no hassel,no suitcase to pack,and you can still make the same money!
I brought two laptops,plus a 3G Kindle 3 weeks ago,Santo Domingo,."No Problemo"!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

OK Mayor Lantigua, how did you get the fire engine past customs??????????

rover

Aug 19, 2007
These things are really small. 2" long by 1/2" wide. so 100 would not take up much room and like i said cost under $1 when bought in volume. I just never tried anything like this so was wondering how they would handle this in DR if they discovered it and was not declared.

If it is just having to pay a 10% duty .. then no harm no foul.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There is basically no custom at Las Americas,at least when I arrive at 3:15 am on Jet Blue!
They just sit there and wave everyone through.

Rover,have you thought about selling bottles of cold water on the street corners in Santo Domingo,or Santiago???

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wait a minute..... brainwave here.....

Import suitcases in suitcases !!!!... Like the Russian doll things...

Genious...... and my name's not even Criss !!!!!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Hey Bill,how did you ever come up with that, WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, Thing?? :cheeky::cheeky:

Why can't I ever think of anything like that ????? :confused::confused:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Another stroke of genious on my part.....
but please note that I use it sparingly...
Just in certain instances..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wait a minute..... brainwave here.....

Import suitcases in suitcases !!!!... Like the Russian doll things...

Genious...... and my name's not even Criss !!!!!

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Don't laugh, we kind of DO do this..... I bought sets of nested suitcases. We bring them down all full, then coming home we're mostly just bringing coffee, so we nest them back together and just put the stuff in the smallest suitcase inside.

We've been checking flights for our winter get-away. Seriously thinking of taking AA First Class flight using our FF miles, because we can bring 3 suitcases each. Then coach coming home, 1 suitcase each - nested and pretty empty.

It works!

AE

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
Ok guys
thinking about bringing down some Franks Red Hot Sauce and Chili powders
and then sell my suitcase too!
not taking it back empty
any bids?
lol
Manu

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
My experience is that when your suitcase is wrapped with plastic customs will ask you what you have in the suitcase and all you have to answer is "stuff for the wife and kids. Normally customs is too lazy to cut the wrapping, you're also a foreigner take advantage of that. Customs treat Dominicans differently.
If and when they call your bluff slip some bills.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I will be paying about $90.00 U.S. for them so i could bring the reciept and either say they are samples to be given to stores "OR" they are inexpensive gifts.

I was just wondering what they would do if they discovered them.

Just declare $90.00 worth of electronics on the form. I declare $1000.00 and have never been asked a thing.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Don't laugh, we kind of DO do this..... I bought sets of nested suitcases. We bring them down all full, then coming home we're mostly just bringing coffee, so we nest them back together and just put the stuff in the smallest suitcase inside.

We've been checking flights for our winter get-away. Seriously thinking of taking AA First Class flight using our FF miles, because we can bring 3 suitcases each. Then coach coming home, 1 suitcase each - nested and pretty empty.

It works!

AE

If you are a Continental FF member w/ their credit card, you 2 bags each for free..... and a few other preks.

The points build up fast.

We do the same w/ the nesting..... I could stuff a midget into the bag any time I wanted.
Use him at home for 'small jobs'.. :))

RE: Storm... lock the windows... how is it 10 miles in ?
Phila must be wet by now...
I'm on Lake Huron....bone dry, but the Lakes Erie And Ontario are seeing rain
HUGE storm

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you are a Continental FF member w/ their credit card, you 2 bags each for free..... and a few other preks.

The points build up fast.

We do the same w/ the nesting..... I could stuff a midget into the bag any time I wanted.
Use him at home for 'small jobs'.. :))

RE: Storm... lock the windows... how is it 10 miles in ?
Phila must be wet by now...
I'm on Lake Huron....bone dry, but the Lakes Erie And Ontario are seeing rain
HUGE storm

We're kind of committed to AA, been with them for 20 years and have lots of miles and their CC.

Re the storm, our daughter is only about 10 miles inland from the coast [Egg Harbor Township], but she's in an area away from rivers, streams, etc., in the woods. They're on 3 acres of land, so we were worried about trees. Son-in-law chopped down a lot of the ones that were near the house or the pool. This morning we only see one smallish tree down out there.

So far so good.

AE