Student Visas Requirements & Information

M.Hernandez

Guzman Ariza/Malcolm Cisneros
Dec 22, 2010
Qualifying for a Student Visa

The Immigration and National Act is very specific with regard to the requirements which must be met by applicants to qualify for the student visa. The consular officer will determine whether you qualify for the visa. Additionally, applicants must demonstrate that they properly meet student visa requirements including:

? Have a residence abroad, with no immediate intention of abandoning that residence;
? Intend to depart from the United States upon completion of the course of study; and
? Possess sufficient funds to pursue the proposed course of study.

List of student visas:

? F-1 visa: For individuals who want to study at an accredited U.S. college or university or to study English at a university or intensive language institute.
? J-1 visa: for individuals participating in educational and cultural exchange programs.
? M-1 visa: For individuals engaged in non-academic study or vocational training.

In order to apply for student visas (F-1, J-1, M-1), you must first have a SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System)-compatible form (either an I-20 or a DS-2019) issued by the U.S. college, university or organization. The institution will provide you with the form after you have been admitted to the school or program.
Once you have all the required documentation, you may apply for the visa, even if you do not intend to begin your program for several months. It is best to apply early, to ensure that there is sufficient time for visa processing.
Next, you will need to pay the SEVIS and visa processing fees, and make an appointment for your interview. You should make sure that you have all the documentation for the interview including: the SEVIS-compatible form, proof of payment of the SEVIS and visa fees, and a completed visa application. All applicants should also be prepared to provide: transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended; scores from any standardized tests required by the school; and financial evidence showing that you or your sponsor have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of study.
Sevis (form i-901):

? SEVIS fee is required for all F and M students as well as J exchange visitors
? Fee amount is $200 US dollars
? Fee can be paid once accepted into accredited school and I-20 has been completed at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

F-1 Student Visa Applying from Abroad

If you are applying for an F-1 Student Visa from your home country, you will begin by selecting a school in the U.S. where you want to study and applying to the school. You may also want to begin looking into housing information at this time. If your application is accepted you will obtain Form I-20 from the DSO (Designated School Official) and pay the I-901 SEVIS receipt. You will be added to the SEVIS database with an individual ID number.
After the school enters your information into the SEVIS database, you will receive Form I-20 and schedule the "Initial Entry Visa Interview" with your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Please check with your U.S. Embassy or Consulate to determine their policies and procedures. You can check the U.S. Department of State website and select your city, then click the link for visa information. Wait times for student visa appointments at embassies and consulates world-wide can be found at Travel.State.Gov. Student Visa interviews will require the following documentation:

? Your Form I-20
? SEVIS I-901 receipt
? Signed passport (must be valid for 6 months after entry into the US)
? Transcripts or diplomas from current or previous institutions
? Program of study description
? Accommodation information
? Evidence of funds to cover tuition and living expenses for either the length of your study or one year, whichever is shorter.
? Your local US Embassy/Consulate might require additional forms such as DS-156, DS-157A, DS-158A. They are available online or at your local embassy/consulate.

Once you are granted a U.S. entrance visa, notify the school of your expected arrival date, and obtain a new I-20 if the dates have been deferred. Also, be sure to confirm your housing and transportation arrangements in advance of your departure from your home country. Keep in mind that you can enter the U.S. no more than 30 days before your program start date.
Upon arrival at a United States Port of Entry you must present:

? Your Form I-20, signed by the DSO of the school you will attend
? Your I-94
? A valid visa containing your SEVIS identification number and the name of the school you will be attending (BIR)
? Financial documentation
? A valid passport

The Customs and Border Protection inspector will stamp your Form I-20 and Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record Form) after determining that you are eligible for entry. This document is proof that you entered the U.S. legally. You should keep the Form I-94 safe throughout your stay in the U.S.

M.Hernandez

Dec 22, 2010
Students and Employment

If you would like to study as a full-time student in the United States, you will need a student visa. There are two nonimmigrant visa categories for persons wishing to study in the United States. These visas are commonly known as the F and M visas.
You may enter in the F-1 or M-1 visa category provided you meet the following criteria:

? You must be enrolled in an "academic" educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program
? Your school must be approved by USCIS
? You must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution
? You must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency
? You must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study
? You must maintain a residence abroad which he/she has no intention of giving up.

F-1 Student Visa

The F-1 Visa (Academic Student) allows you to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program. You must be enrolled in a program or course of study that culminates in a degree, diploma, or certificate and your school must be authorized by the U.S. government to accept international students.

M-1 Student Visa

The M-1 visa (Vocational Student) category includes students in vocational or other nonacademic programs, other than language training.

Employment

F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions. There are various programs available for F-1 students to seek off-campus employment, after the first academic year. F-1 students may engage in three types of off-campus employment, after they have been studying for one academic year. These three types of employment are:

? Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
? Optional Practical Training (OPT) (pre-completion or post-completion)
? Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Optional Practical Training Extension (OPT)

M-1 students may engage in practical training only after they have completed their studies.
For both F-1 and M-1 students any off-campus employment must be related to their area of study and must be authorized prior to starting any work by the Designated School Official (the person authorized to maintain the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)) and USCIS.

Special Instructions

If you are a B-1 or B-2 Visitor who wants to enroll in school, please see information on thread B-1/B-2 Visa Holder who want to enroll in school posted on 8/31/2011.

M.Hernandez

Dec 22, 2010
Requirements for an F or M Student Visa

All applicants for an F or M student visa must provide:

? Form I-20A-B, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students or Form I-20M-N, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students
? A completed application, Nonimmigrant Visa Applicant, Form DS-156, together with a Form DS-158. Both forms must be completed and signed. Some applicants will also be required to complete and sign Form DS-157. A separate form is needed for children, even if they are included in a parent's passport.

? An interview at the embassy consular section is required for almost all visa applicants.
? A passport valid for at least six months after your proposed date of entry into the United States
? One (1) 2x2 photograph
? A receipt to show payment of the visa application fee, a visa issuance fee if applicable and a separate SEVIS I-901 fee receipt. While all F visa applicants must pay the visa application (MRV) fee, including dependents, only the F-1 principal applicants must pay the SEVIS fee.
Because each student's personal and academic situation is different, two students applying for the same visa may be asked different questions and be required to submit different documents. For that reason, the guidelines that follow are general and can be changed by consular officers overseas, depending on each student?s situation.

All applicants should be prepared to provide:

? Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended
? Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.
? Financial evidence that shows that the student or sponsoring parents have sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses during the period of intended study. For example, if the student or sponsor is a salaried employee, please bring income tax documents and original bank books and/or statements. If the student or sponsor owns a business, please bring business registration, licenses, etc., and tax documents, as well as original bank books and/or statements.

Applicants with dependents must also provide:

? Proof of the student?s relationship to his/her spouse and/or children (e.g., marriage and birth certificates.)
? It is preferred that families apply for F-1 and F-2 visas at the same time, but if the spouse and children must apply separately, they should bring a copy of the student visa holder?s passport and visa, along with all other required documents.