Rock Climbing in the Northeast!

Fxcoughlin

Aug 29, 2011
Hey everyone,

My name is Frank and I'm new to Santiago. I'm going to be living here till April. Would love to get some rock climbing in while I'm here. I've got rope, quickdraws, harness, shoes. I can lead up to 5.10-5.11(on a good day!), but would be willing to climb anything. I just need partners and some crag! I heard there is some on Samana Peninsula. Anyone have recommendations or interest in joining me?

Frank

p.s. Also looking for surf buddies that want to go to Playa Encuentro!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Your best bet is to look for some DWS, it is so humid here you will struggle on anything out of a breeze. I also would not show faith in any hangers here, if there are any developed crags about I doubt they have been put up well. You could go at some trad but without any gear you can't do that either and non was mentioned so...............................
All I could think is if you can get hold of some hadware and head up to some decent altitude and get out of the heat, you might find some fiction then.
Good luck

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hey everyone,

My name is Frank and I'm new to Santiago. I'm going to be living here till April. Would love to get some rock climbing in while I'm here. I've got rope, quickdraws, harness, shoes. I can lead up to 5.10-5.11(on a good day!), but would be willing to climb anything. I just need partners and some crag! I heard there is some on Samana Peninsula. Anyone have recommendations or interest in joining me?

Frank

p.s. Also looking for surf buddies that want to go to Playa Encuentro!

Fronton Beach!

305770-largest_fronton_enero07_088.jpg

305780-largest_fronton_enero07_002_1_.jpg

200451-largest_26882.jpg

El Paraiso

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Sector Jerry (close to las Galeras)

Along the way to Piedra del Toro, Saman?.

The site is located within a private property, but with easy open access. The routes are in the Farallon, behind the mobil home structure.

topo-sector-jerry.jpg

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Are these bolted routes or traditional? I notice they are graded as Sport routes but where would anyone get hangers over here? Who put them up?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Are these bolted routes or traditional? I notice they are graded as Sport routes but where would anyone get hangers over here? Who put them up?

Most are traditional, as climbers remove the safety devices in most cases. The hardest routes are void of fixed bolts, as climbers seek the ultimate experience when going up. The majority of climbers come from Europe, where fixed bolting is virtually not practiced much and frowned upon by other climbers.

Add to that the "expensive" factor that any gear commands in the DR, and you pretty much get the picture. Keep in mind that a lot of the places to climb are not too hard to reach on their tops by normal methods, so many climbers are able to employ safe lines bolted atop.

You could say that the leave no trace ethic in climbing, is really followed in the DR for the most part...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
One thing I've never come across here is climbing equipment, anywhere. Thankyou for that, interesting and very handy to know