Relocating to the DR

Caprice31

Aug 30, 2011
Hello,

I am new on this forum and would like some information if possible!

I am moving to the Dominican in December 2011 and I am looking for some work. I have been emailing tourism agencies but nothing so far. I am from Canada and plan on staying in DR for a few months.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Are you moving there, or vacationing for three months????

You will need permanent residency and a cedula [Dominican ID card] to work, and even with that it will be very hard to get a job. Dominican salaries are a small fraction of what similar jobs pay in Canada.

AE

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Caprice31, there are mountains of advice on relocating here on previous threads. It was a great help to me. Go to the search feature and the top right hand of the page and type in any topic about which you have a question.

Caprice31

Aug 30, 2011
I am starting with a 3 month period and after that - I will see.

I am very well aware of the salary difference between Canada and DR.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Caprice31

Aug 30, 2011
Thank you. It's a big decision but it's better to do it sooner rather than later.

I am wondering if hotels offer English/French classes to the staff... That would be an amazing experience!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Thank you. It's a big decision but it's better to do it sooner rather than later.

I am wondering if hotels offer English/French classes to the staff... That would be an amazing experience!
Hotels have no difficulty finding staff fluent in English and/or French. This country has an unofficial unemployment rate of about 20%.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
... Meaning, it's best to move there operating under the assumption that 1) you won't be able to make a living working for some company, and 2) happiness = having significant, independent sources of funds to live on.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Hey Capi, PM I might be able to help you with some work here in a hotel in the colonial zone own by a French Canadian from Quebec

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
There are opportunities in the DR for ex-pats, but unless you start your own business, they are far and few between. Are you bi-lingual or speak more than one language? There are more opportunities in Santo Domingo for better paying jobs. If I were you I would come DR for a month or two and check out the lay of the land. Talk to people, see what opportunities exist and deciide if it is realistic to make the move. Go on the web and check out the requirements for residency. You will need this before you can work in the DR. If you speak French one area you should check out is the Samana Peninsula and Las Terrenas. It is a beach community of about 12,000 people half of which are European, Canadian and American. Approximately 3000 are French ex-pats. There may be some opportunity for you. Good luck.

S