Adoption

guananico

Jul 12, 2006
This may be fairly long but I need whoever can help me to please HELP! This may be the first time this has come up. I need serious help.

Allow me to premise first so that there is no ? they are using you bull****?. I met my Dominican wife back in 2005. We have been together since. Married on August 14 2007. She finally got her visa to be with me on Oct. 23 2008. We have a daughter who was born in the DR on Feb 17 2007. My wife and child have been with me since and there are no issues. My wife?s daughter got here Feb 2009.

Now, here is the issue. I have spoken with ?friends? who have ?lawyers? who have friends. In the DR. Nuff said. I need real advise on how to adopt a child and get her to the USA. Here is where it gets sticky. The child in question is my wife?s neice, sisters daughter. This child was abandoned to the campo with my wife and her parents when she was 8 months old. My wife and her parents have taken care of her since, Since I have been in the picture I have been able to scrape together a ?pittance? to help take care of ?My Daughter.The mother has AIDS and has never been able to take care of her, Her bioligical father has never cared nor has ever adhered to the 500 pesos per month support. Both parents are willing and able to sign their ?right? over for this child to be adopted by me and my wife. Please anyone than can help, please help. My little girl, 9 years old was recently molested , and leaglly, the principal, of her school has been imprisoned. I want this child and will take care of this beautiful girl. Please advise.

guananico

Jul 12, 2006
Sorry for this. Why throw this into the equation?

Because it is 1 more reeason I want to have her here with us so we at least have a chance to keep her safe. Now, if you are unable to comprehend what I asked it would be preferable that you stay out of the conversation because obviously you are trying to find fault in want I am asking. All I am asking for is some hope.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Because it is 1 more reeason I want to have her here with us so we at least have a chance to keep her safe. Now, if you are unable to comprehend what I asked it would be preferable that you stay out of the conversation because obviously you are trying to find fault in want I am asking. All I am asking for is some hope.

I do comprehend and I do understand. I am not trying to find out any fault. I can understand why you want to have this girl with you so the same thing wont happen to her.

I wish you luck!! :)

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Start with CONANI

CONANI is the Dominican Agency that regulates adoptions. As you're a foreigner and your Dominican wife lives abroad, you are looking at an international adoption. With that comes lawyers, regulations, red tape, documents, more documents, translations, home studies, lots of frustration, money, and time.

Here are the basic requirements in English from their site, and of course, more information in Spanish.
CONANI - Requerimientos

You may want to type "adoption" in the DR1 search box, as the topic of adoptions has come up (of course your circumstances are unique to you). There may be something of use for you there.

I am a firm believer that "where there is a will, there is a way" and wish you the best of luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This will be a huge, long drawn out process and you might not get the little girl. I am talking 3 or 4 years. The process is tedious, it is complicated and it is bureaucratic. Only if you are here, of if you have YOUR own lawyer who works for you and only you, might the process be eased along, but never hurried along.

I know, since my boy did something like this 8 years ago or so, You can read about in a post I made about the "Luckiest baby alive" ....

HB

guananico

Jul 12, 2006
learn to know me at Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More'

This little girl has been through more than we can imagine. She has never had a family. My wife took care of her until she was granted her visa a few years ago. It breaks my ****in heart when we have to leave the DR. I always tell her " it won't be long". In her eyes I can see that she does not believe me. What I do know is that she loves me and wants to be our child. Where do I start? I read the Conani link. How much money are we talking?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
In most cases, before you can legally bring her into the United States, you have to adopt her legally in the home country (in this case, the Dominican Republic).

There is an outside (and I mean VERY outside) chance that you can get the US consulate to issue a humanitarian visa based on the abuse that the child has suffered. In that event, once the child is in the United States, you could begin the adoption process in the Dominician Republic and in the United States at the same time.

You will need attorneys in both countries. In this case, you might be able to get a non-profit agency to assist you with some of the expenses in the United States. Contact your local organization for victims of domestic violence or your local Catholic Charities for a list of agencies in your area who might be able to assist you.

Also, if you have any connections with your local congressional representative, you might ask him/her to ask the State Department to issue a humanitarian visa. The sooner the child gets to the United States and gets assistance and gets into a safe environment, the better the chance she will be able to recuperate from the effects of sexual abuse.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I read your post, and can understand your plight as I have an adopted child myself. I do not know whether they can help you, but I do know that the Guzman office of lawyers are connected with the official adoption agency here in the DR, and that they are affiliated with lawyer offices in the States...

I would certainly contact them, explain the situation, and am sure you will get truthful answers, and, I hope for the girl in question, hopeful answers...

guananico

Jul 12, 2006
SORRY. i STARTED THIS THREAD AND THEN ABANDONED IT. I did a lot of research and found that basically this will never happen. Thank-you for the input.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Though I don't want to get into your personal life, could you please elaborate, for the sake of others in the future who might want to look into this possibility.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I would have though if you claimed her as a dependant( niece) as she actually is you would be able to bring her in. At least in Canada you could have. Too bad you didn't have the forthought to have your wife declare her as a daughter. She certainly looks like her.

guananico

Jul 12, 2006
I do owe an explanation, however, it is not an explanation that will help anyone else in this issue. It is really a huge irony. Somehow I just landed a dream job. I more than doubled my adequate income. In taking the position I had to uproot my girls from the home I have lived in since 1984. It is the best job I could ever imagine! Not just the money but we have the best health plan available and it is non contributory including dental and glasses and it covers my entire family. Our yearly bonus is projected to be 15K this year. Last year I was told the boss took everyone and their spouses to Hawaii for a week. This year the boss has said he has a real surprise and told everyone to free up the second week of january. My boss paid for us to move, including the $1750.00 deposit on our apartment.

We have underground parking in Downtown Buffalo and I have a space with my name on it! We have free dry cleaning service. We have a 2 hour flex time during the day, just need 7.5 hours per day. 401k, holidays, 1 week vacation to start and 2 weeks after a year. I have a private office that measures 16 x 16. He furnished a laptop and unlimited everything on my new Blackberry, provided. My boss orders in for lunch 3 or 4 imes a week. We have a sky box for 2 Buffalo Bills games and free tickets to the theater, Sheas. ( Went to see the Lion King last Sunday.)

The perfection of all this is not only the good pay but at 59 I did a scenerio on the Social Security site and I will almost double my SS check at 62 because of this job.

Now... here is the irony, and the reason I will not be trying to adopt my little girl. Went to the doctor 2 weeks ago and it is very unlikely I will see 65. Yes, I did go to a second doctor. I am really not sad or surprised because I know I did it to myself. My wife does not know, nor does she need to know. I will be perfectly functional for quite some time.

In 3 years we will move to the D.R. as I will have substantial saved and a very good SS income. Keep in mind that my daughters will get SS when I retire until they are 18, whether I am dead or alive. If dead my wife will collect. Brianna is 4 and Soldely is 10. I hope to have a year or 2 with all my girls.......

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
What a sad story. Fingers crossed you have as much quality time as you can with your wife and children. But I would think about telling her. As a wife I would be very sad if my husband didnt tell me news like this,

Matilda