Key Fob Repair?????

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
I am asking this question without a lot of hope of an answer but I figure this is DR and they seem to repair everything here. Does anyone know of a place in the North Coast that can repair the chip inside of a key fob. We have changed out the battery so we know it is not that, but it no longer works and life would be easier if we could get it fixed. Thanks for any knowledge you may have.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I seriously doubt the technology exists on the north coast to unsolder, remove and replace the surface mount components such as the microprocessor that are inside such a device as a car remote control. I replaced a switch that went bad in one. If that is the problem, then it may be possible to fix the broken push button switch. The likely solution will be to purchase another and program it to work with your system.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just ordered a generic one on eBay for a Cuban neighbor who doesn't speak English. It cost $25 and he had it working in minutes.

Can't beat that. Weighs next to nothing, so shipping should be low.

AE

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
are you sure its not a fuse in the car ? we had a problem with the key not working the central locking and changed battery to no avail - turned out to be one of the fuses.

stefan repaired it

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will check into some of the places. I am pretty sure it is not a fuse because the little light on the fob does not light up when pressed even though we changed the battery. It is a volkswagen and the only vw dealership I could find was in Santo Domingo or Santiago. I will call Stefan's car shop in Sosua and see what he can come up with.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just ordered a generic one on eBay for a Cuban neighbor who doesn't speak English. It cost $25 and he had it working in minutes.

Can't beat that. Weighs next to nothing, so shipping should be low.

AE

Can you post a link as to which remote you purchased? It will be useful to have for future reference.