Pollo Ahumado Jarabacoa

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I spotted this smoked chicken in Las Terrenas that says on the package it is a product of Ganadera Jarabacoa. Can anyone tell me something about the product as to how it is prepared for sale, how it is best prepared and whether it still has to be cooked?

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
The experiment is now behind me. It appeared to be cooked and I warmed it up with a few peppers for serving. The taste was not unpleasant but the fowl was a bit rubbery. I will not be likely to repeat the adventure. There are better ways to have your pollo.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would go for something more locally available. There are chicken coops in every corner in this country. Buen provecho.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Are these the chickens in the string netting? If so then they are prepared the same way as the pork chops also smoked in rope nets. I understand they are partially cooked/smoked to the point where it can be stored longer without refrigeration. It can be eaten as is, but is still only partially cooked, we always take it to the beach and finish it off in the portable solar oven, we fry the pork.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
This was not in a string netting over the chicken but it came in a vacuum sealed bag. I am sure they would fit your criteria for beach picnic suitable. the smoke flavor was there but not really all that strong. I wonder if there is temperature control monitoring in the smoking process. I have had some great tasting outdoor barbecued spit roasted pork but not so much luck with the smoked pork available on the supermarket shelf. The smoked pork I bought did not have commercial labelling on the package so was probably a local small venture. Not a taste sensation I care to repeat.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Buy direct from the farmer, we get our chickens, rabbits, and pork from the same farmer, great to put the money directly in the hands of those around us. Same with vegis, not so much fruit, but don't get me started on the exportation of fruit from here......................