Calling DR1 Geeks, Nerds and Techies: How do I "tape"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
How can I "tape" for playback, television shows on a DVD disc.

What I mean, and I hope I phrase this properly, is that before I taped on a Digital Cassette Recorder my favorite programs and watched them later. If we were going to be away I could leave a stack of tapes here and have friends and family tape my beloved wife's 'telenovelas' for later viewing.

What I need to learn is: What kind of a machine can I purchase to do this task with DVDs? Most of what I see on Amazon are parts for computer towers or laptops or connect to laptops. I need something to connect to a TV set, but I don't know what to call it!!

Any answers out there?

Thanks.

HB, somewhat technically challenged this a.m.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You Need Something Like This

Newegg.com - TOSHIBA DR430 DVD Recorder

Also check if your TV has an HDMI port. This makes it real easy to connect to the DVD Recorder. If not you can connect with the three colored lines. You can probably find a cheaper one also.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What you truly need is a DVD Recorder that has a built-in Hard drive and the built-in ATSC Tuner similar to what Hlywud posted. But they are quite expensive.

The advantage is that you can schedule repeated recording times such as your wife's 'telenovelas'.
Then when you return, you can watch them from the hard drive or if you wish create a DVD.

The one I have has enough hard drive disk space to record for 10 days, 24 hours a day.

OR put otherwise, enough capacity to record around 240 hours of your wife's 'telenovelas'.

I have never used it as a TV tuner, as I bought mine to record my security cameras. (lol)

Mine is a Panasonic DMR-E95H (2004 - Pre-HDMI era)

Don

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Depending on the Telenovela you may be able to get what she misses on the Internet. I know Yris has watch ones from Univision online.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thank you both all). I have been on Amazon and newegg.com since 5:00 and did not know what I was really looking for. Now I do!!

HB

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Thank you both all). I have been on Amazon and newegg.com since 5:00 and did not know what I was really looking for. Now I do!!

HB
HB, You can buy a USB tuner adapter for your computer and use software to schedule recording 'till your heart's delight. You can then use any DVD authoring s/w to burn your shows to DVD all for the cost of under US$100 -- the cost of the USB TV tuner.

Have a look at TV tuner adapters here:
Google - USB TV Tuner Adapter - search results

NotLurking

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
HB, You can buy a USB tuner adapter for your computer and use software to schedule recording 'till your heart's delight. You can then use any DVD authoring s/w to burn your shows to DVD all for the cost of under US$100 -- the cost of the USB TV tuner.

Have a look at TV tuner adapters here:
Google - USB TV Tuner Adapter - search results

NotLurking

A very good suggestion!
One drawback would be the need to keep the computer running.
Do the Tuners come with the software to do the scheduling?

Perhaps Cecomsa in Santiago may carry some.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009

HB

Don had it. You need a Digital Video Recorder not necessarily a DVD recorder. You can work the signal into the DVR from the cable box and then program it to start and stop accordingly. Depending on what features it has I found it easier to program the cable box to come on and go to a specific channel at a specific time and then set the DVR to record at the same time but using a base channel like Channel 3. The cable box is already set up to seek out your favorite shows and channels and the DVR will just record the images displayed.

In another realm I use a Panasonic DMR-E55R linked into a Toshiba D-R410 to copy DVDs. THe Panasonic is an older model(Sears demo model) that doesnt accept DVD+ software and I dont see a way how to install the firmware to upgrade it. The Toshiba(another floor demo) accepts all discs, DVD+/- I got it for $30 when Circuit City was liquidating their entire stores.