10 % Rent increase

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I have a question for Guzman. Can a landlord really go back and charge a 10% rent increase that he has not appiled according to the contract. So on a specific date the rent can go up 10% and the word automaticly is used. Then rent is not increased though and invoices comprobante fiscales sent for months without the rent increase. Landlord then all of a sudden back charges the rent increase months back and even claims tenant is in debt with him. I now learn that this is normal in the DR. In my opinion the comprobante fiscales sent and paid on time proves that the old rent was agreed and accepted by both parties and that the landlord has the right to increase rent with 10% but only for the future rent payments. What do you think ? To me it does not seem to be complicated for a lawyer to just make a call to landlord and correct his practice. and not start expensive proceedings. it can he hard for a foreign tenant to deal with a Dominican landlord. If you as a foreign business cant count of having a lawyer help you in these situations you might as well shut down your business.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
He cannot do this. I know from personal experience. You know how to reach me for details.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
But when lawyer wants more money than rent increase then you are kind of screwed unless you really want to go into a battle with your landlord which is very uncomfortable. Tenant paid rent increase knowing what landlord is doing has to be illegal. Better to just notify landlord that tenant is moving. Landlord can then try and get new tenants where he already has two empty spaces in his plaza. He will have 3 soon and who knows what the future holds.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
10% per year rent increases are normal in DR but it should've been in the contract and usually if you threaten to leave they change it. My 10% rent increase was in my contract but when it came around I told el due?o that I opulent afford that and I would have to leave if it went up (I was bluffing), so he dropped the 10% increase. I was an American who paid every month on time, he knew the fight wasn't worth it.

SHALENA

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Exactly the same as shalena is telling happened to me, I explained very kindly, even written, that I can't afford a 10% raise right now and would consider moving if he would raise it and they litterally told me we are good tenants, paying punctual and not trashing the place, so they dropped the raise. My landlord is a big shot from the ruling party btw, though I don't deal directly with him, he seems to be a reasonable man

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Contract

10% per year rent increases are normal in DR but it should've been in the contract and usually if you threaten to leave they change it. My 10% rent increase was in my contract but when it came around I told el due?o that I opulent afford that and I would have to leave if it went up (I was bluffing), so he dropped the 10% increase. I was an American who paid every month on time, he knew the fight wasn't worth it.

SHALENA

It was in contract but for months had not been applied. Then back charges the rent increase. For instance rent increase applies at 1/6 and landlord keeps sending the same comprobante fiscal. Then on 1/1 goes back those 6months and charges the difference of 10%. It is not legal. Would have been better for tenant to get it in writing at the time rent increase could have apllied. I guess that is the leasson learned.

I have a question for Guzman. Can a landlord really go back and charge a 10% rent increase that he has not appiled according to the contract. So on a specific date the rent can go up 10% and the word automaticly is used. Then rent is not increased though and invoices comprobante fiscales sent for months without the rent increase. Landlord then all of a sudden back charges the rent increase months back and even claims tenant is in debt with him. I now learn that this is normal in the DR. In my opinion the comprobante fiscales sent and paid on time proves that the old rent was agreed and accepted by both parties and that the landlord has the right to increase rent with 10% but only for the future rent payments. What do you think ? To me it does not seem to be complicated for a lawyer to just make a call to landlord and correct his practice. and not start expensive proceedings. it can he hard for a foreign tenant to deal with a Dominican landlord. If you as a foreign business cant count of having a lawyer help you in these situations you might as well shut down your business.

Dont pay the increase just pay what you always have been paying and if the landlord wont take it,deposit into the banco agricola in escrow and you will see how fast the landlord drops his rent increase because you will be living there for months,or years till they can get you out.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The simple fact that the contractually agreed-upon 10% increase was not collected for a number of months does not necessarily imply that the landlord renounced to his or her rights to collect it. The following factors should be taken in consideration: the text of the contract in its entirety, particular clauses in the contract addressing this issue, other documents or evidence that might throw light on the landlord's intention. In any case, the statute of limitation for collecting rent is 3 years.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
If you are getting comprovante fiscal then have the rent money deposited into the BANCO AGRICOLA SO THAT WAY you know that the taxes that you are paying are pay by the landlord and that your deposits are garrantee and making 7 to 10% interest a year? In your case you have to pay the 10% increase because it was established on the contract, it is just like the phone or electrical bills that because you don't get bill you don't pay it. What you should had done was have correct the invoice the first time that you notice the mistake. Now you can always negociate the 10% increase and or tell them that you are vacating the apartment and let see what they have to say then.