Wanting to move to Punta Cana

Islanddave

Sep 3, 2011
I have a few questions if someone could answer them that would be great. I would like to rent a one or two bedroom condo on or near the beach with a pool in a nice area and if it had a gym that would be even better in Punta Cana. So what should I expect to spend on a yearly rental? Also what would I spend to eat well but not over the top per month eating out a few times a week? Is $200.00 a month for the electric sound about right? Is there a nice gym in Punta Cana? Will I be able to get by not being able to speak any spanish? Are the locals friendly to Americans? Would I be better off using peso instead of the american dollar? Do they sell new mopeds in or near Punta Cana? Thanks for the help

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I am but a newbie to the area myself. However I can try to answer some of these questions.

1. On or near the beach, you are looking at B?varo. In Puntacana on or near beach is, I believe, for the very wealthy.
2. However in Puntacana there are apartments (beach is 4 km away) with pools and a gym.
3. These places run between 750-1000 a month from what I understand. Beach, B?varo is 800. Non beach B?varo can be as low as 350. This is from recent homework I have done and may be subject to change. Arriving on scene and looking around will serve you best.
4. No idea on electric.
5. There is a nice gym in Puntacana, a VERY nice one. Sign up for 200 US, monthly fees are 60 US. Nice facility. There are other gyms in B?varo, not sure of their prices.
6. Not knowing Spanish does not seem to be a liability in this particular area. However it would behoove you to learn some.
7. Dominicans are friendly people in general. However naivete can be a definite liability. I recommend this book before you come.
8. You can use dollars but get a more favorable rate with pesos in my experience.
9. You will want to buy a moped in Higuey.

This advice is from someone also new to the area and I am sure others will have a different take.

Good luck.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Should you not visit first to see if you like it, sounds like you have never been before?

Islanddave

Sep 3, 2011
I have been several times but always stay at one of the resorts and haven't looked around much. I've decided to retire early and thought I would give D.R a try. I would love to learn spanish and try another culture. I might just stay at one of the resorts full time but thought I would see about renting or even buying a condo. The resorts really don't cost much and if it's going to cost about the same I might as well just at one of them.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Well you could do worse, people do retire there for a reason. I think if I wanted a quiet and peaceful life without any outside distractions, live life at my own pace it could be a good option, but it is too closed off to have absolute no outside interests. Some kind of semi retirement might be ideal.
Property is cheap to rent over there, although if you are in the position to live full time in hotels then you have all the time in the world and no real need to jump into anything.

Good luck with it all, seems the ball is at you feet, very lucky position to be in.

Islanddave

Sep 3, 2011
The more I think about it living at a resort full time probably wouldn't be for me. I can just imagine the weight I would put on eating at restaurants and free alcohol 24/7. My liver wouldn't survive long lol. I wish I could say that I was strong enough just to eat right and stay away from the booze but with filet, bacon and people having a great time drinking everyday it would be hard to pass up lol. So anyone know a nice area where I should look for a condo in Punta Cana and what I should expect to pay? Would $1000 a week to live on be enough? Don't think I would even need a car, just a moped will work for me. I am planning a visit for a few weeks to try and find a place but would like to have some idea of where to look before I get there. Thanks again

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
"Punta Cana" covers a rather large area. It is spread out which means you either have to pick an area which suits your needs or buy transport. You can find the beach just about anywhere up and down the coast. Price varies, but MaineGirl has the rent close to what you can expect. Your electric bill could be $200 if you run your AC and dryer often. Food is about double the price in the US, and the quality is nowhere close. However, you can find deals on FFV if you have a farmer's truck come by your neighborhood.

As previously mentioned by Anastacio...you may want to visit a couple of times before deciding. Not speaking of staying in an AI. Rent you a place for a month and see how you like it. Then come back after a break and stay for 2 months. I visited 3 times over a year (50 days the longest duration) before buying a place in Cortecito. It is a community which has a fairly large ex-pat population (although many are just here for parts of the year.) Having said that, I still maintain my beach house in Florida and do not currently have any plans to give up my place in the US.

This is a small beach town surrounded by AIs. $1000 a week is more than you should require...unless you want to live in an very upscale community. The low season is winding down here, and Nov-Jan/Feb is a lot more expensive for lodging than thru Oct.

This is a great place to spend time if you meet the right people. Good luck staying away from the drink. It's everywhere you turn.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ilike everything about your coming to thr DR,EXCEPT the part about the "MOPED""!

You will be at the bottom of the "Food Chain","vehicularically" speaking!

Cris Colon

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Recently I've gotten several notices from real estate agents about some nice condos that are reduced in price. A couple of really good deals out there. If I hadn't already bought last year, (condo almost done... settlement soon), I would jump on one of these bargains. The sad thing is that prices are low now, I paid more last year. If I had the extra $, I'd be tempted to buy one as investment. Over the long run, I feel very secure that these properties will appreciate.

Islanddave

Sep 3, 2011
Are the drivers really that bad? If so I will be buying a tank lol. I appreciate every reply and I am looking forward to living in the D.R Thanks again

Islanddave

Sep 3, 2011
Thanks Mainegirl I will take your word and skip the moped. Didn't plan on driving much but I sure do want to be safe.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Gym in Punta Cana Village is called GO FIT Go Fit

We just paid our annual full insurance for a 1-yr old pick-up, it was about RD$55,000. Third party insurance is much less.