Americans living in DR......

Embargo Art

Sep 4, 2011
Hi everyone, I am what you could call a "first time caller, long time listener" to this forum.

I have been to DR now about 6 times and have a unique insight with family living there on the island that I visit with and also (of course) my girlfriend who I am madly in love with. She does not want to leave the island so now I am studying my options.

My family is from DR and Cuba and I have lived in Florida my whole life, mostly good Spanish and I really enjoy the life there after 3 years of visiting. Of course living as a professional in the states is fine too but with my job being in the balance, I may decide to leave if I am asked to take a package from my employer.

For all those Americans living there, is there a big community of Americans in SD or another city? I am curious if anything about that as I am starting down the long road of possible life in the DR........

Cheers.

Art

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Lots of americans in SD, no particular area stands out. We also have football here .

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I found plenty of Americans in Sosua, Cabarete and Boca Chica. I am sure they are all over beachtowns, visiting. In each place I mentioned I can think of 4 or five I can find day to day that actually live in DR. Cant think of a day anywhere I met more than that. I am sure there are alot more.

Embargo Art

Sep 4, 2011
I saw what could only be described as "American Guys" walking their dogs on the Malecon since you would never see a Dominican guy doing that, at least not yet for me.......that is interesting enough.

I saw lots of Americans in Caberete but that is pretty much to be expected. Santo Domingo is where it's at for me.

Hpluv

Feb 24, 2009
I don't understand why it's important to be around Americans if you move to Sto Domingo.
Is that your way of avoiing Dominicanos?

mckenley

Sep 4, 2011
Does anyone knows the price of sending a child to an english/spanish speaking school in cabarete

Embargo Art

Sep 4, 2011
I don't understand why it's important to be around Americans if you move to Sto Domingo.
Is that your way of avoiing Dominicanos?

Its another country so naturally how could I avoid it? My best friends and neighbor are Dominican. Read my original post about my origin. I will give you the benefit of the doubt of replying first and reading second. :rolleyes:

I am only curious about Americans living in DR as far as the aspect of having (some) American friends and hanging out watching football or UFC fights etc.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"ART",
You are invited to my house in Santo Domingo!
You can meet me,one American,and nine "Dominicanos".
Would that ratio be good for you,"HPhate"???????????????????????

Cris Colon

dlmac58

Sep 4, 2011
Some of you are morons, he was simply asking where are some Americans not saying he doesn't like Dominicans.Every now and then people like to talk about US football, college football, US politics.etc. Is that a crime??? Stop being so aggressive and answer somebodys question every now and then without an attitude..GEEZ

dlmac58

Sep 4, 2011
What is your problem? All he asked was where are some Americans.You don't think every now and then, may be interesting to talk to fellow Americans on sports and politics?? He never said he doesn't like Dominicans!! You think because you have lived here, you are the defender of all Dominicans..I have lived here for 4 years in San Cristobal and also love most Dominicans,but do love to talk to Americans as well..Wake up jackass..DAVID!!

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Monday Night football on the terrace at Chili's Blue Mall. Usually will find members of the Dominican League of American Football there.

Embargo Art

Sep 4, 2011
Monday Night football on the terrace at Chili's Blue Mall. Usually will find members of the Dominican League of American Football there.

Now we are talking! I will check it out when I go back, be interested to meet some of you guys there.

nobu17

Sep 5, 2011
New Yorker wants to move but it seems daunting for job

thinking of renting 1st and trying to fast track 45 day residency (??) 50 yr old american/new yorker, some spanish, mainly admin/server work most of life. where is best place to find a job? would not mind working at nice resort in punya, is that possible? i think there is something called a "person of means" that can fast track you if you can deposit a certain amt of money in a bank there and explain you're looking for property etc. would be nice to be around expats just for all the info and to acclimate to DR. and no not to avoid the wonderful people of the DR
Any help or website leads would be great!!

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
I personally know of one applicant on the "fast track" 45 days is now 105 and counting.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
I hear ya old man (Im 49)...especially with the employment news looking so stellar in the US, moving in with my girlfriend in SD sounds pretty good. (not a whimsical thought for me as I have been thinking about this for many months now). but the ultimate goal is getting her a passport (my goal not hers....we can save all that sankette debate talk for another post), so we can live in the US for a few years before returning back to SD. She (an educated young woman), is happy to move to the US yet is unimpressed with leaving her support system and family, and understands the challenges that face latins in the US currently. So we take all these decisions on where to to live, timing, visas, her family and my family situations etc...seriously. But being between jobs i am spending 2 weeks to month at a time on my visits, so relocating from the northeast to SD is increasingly tempting.

i digress, I too would be very interested in finding ex pat groups to network with about domincan issues, jobs, culture, during my frequent vistis to SD area.