Spider/Centipede bite?

mooselips

Sep 5, 2011
Hi everyone,
I'm new here, my husband and I live in Ohio, and traveled to Santa Domingo in 1998, where unfortunately, my husband was bitten by something? while chasing a chicken from our horseshoe game. He brushed a bush, and afterwards noticed a mark on his Left upper abdomen, we didn't think much of it, at the time.
After 8 more days, we returned home and he noticed a hard spot where he was bitten, a little redness,and it slowly went away unassisted, he never saw a Dr. (or if he did,I can't remember) and if he did, nothing was done.

okay, now we come to 13 years later, and he has pain in that exact spot, and a roughness when palpated, I can feel. He had a CT scan of his abdomen and pelvis last week, no results back yet.

Can anyone tell me if they feel this could be a result of the bite he received in the DR?

Thank you for your help.

Diane

jayandmel

Aug 31, 2011
I am going to go ahead and say more than likely not. There would be a few reasons for that and one would be. If it was a bite from a spider that was A) poisonous there would have been a reaction well closer to the date of the bite, and B) if it had laid eggs there mights have been a pretty disgusting result of that.
Now I do have to say despite popular belief brown recluse venom can have a knack from hanging around in the body a little bit longer than some people think.
If it continues to bother seek the advice of an MD as that would be a proper thing to do as such

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
If your husband had been bitten by a dangerous spider here.. by a brown recluse, or a tarantula.. He would have KNOWN it.

It would have been more than just a little redness and swelling.

Slideshow: Black Widow Spider vs. Brown Recluse Spider on eMedicineHealth.com

note that the brown recluse is indigenous in the USA as well as the DR.

Tarantula Spider Bite - Symptoms, Emergency, What to Do - NY Times Health Information

Spider bites are not like deer ticks, or mosquitos, which can transmit OTHER diseases like Lyme[s or Malaria or Dengue (yet, Gracias a Dios!)

so I think the docs will have to look elsewhere for the source of the pain.

Hope he feels better soon

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I also suspect a tick bite. Do you recall if there was a red ring around the bite soon after he got bitten? That sometimes happens if Lyme disease is the problem.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I also suspect a tick bite. Do you recall if there was a red ring around the bite soon after he got bitten? That sometimes happens if Lyme disease is the problem.

Please don't start with the Lyme's,
I have had Lyme's. If this guy had Lyme;s it would certainly have occurred to him SOMETIME over the last 13 years!

With Lyme's, you spike a fever around 103 for over a week and usually break out in large red circles. All of your joints ache so bad that you can barely walk or move them.

It takes a MONTH of antibiotic treatment to kill the damn critters that tics inject into you. That is if you are lucky and get it diagnosed properly. If not, you can become paralized.

I know that there was some discussion of Lyme's here on this board a few years ago but I really do not think that we have it here because if we did, there would have been SOME mention of it in the press. The medical establishment here is not stupid and they do not cover up bad news.. like dengue or cholera .. so we certainly would have heard of Lyme's.

Sorry to be so testy.

But it took me over a year to recover. Really. Lyme's is no joke.

And it would CERTAINLY have driven him to a doctor.

May 29, 2006
I'm thinking it could have been a plant instead of bug. There are numerous plants in the DR that can harm you just by bumping into them and as the other posters have mentioned, when you get a bug bite, you usually notice it. If he had a reaction to say, pencil tree(Euphorbia Tirucalli or alfabeto chino in the DR) sap, it could take days to react to it and then complications can set in. I know of one instance where a dog had to have surgery at the contact site over a month after she was first exposed.

Maybe something else is going on and his body is reacting to the old injury. Do you know if he has any allergies?