American Hamburgers

jayandmel

Aug 31, 2011
I keep reading that it is impossible to find a real hamburger down there. I kind of find this hard to believe but may be mistaken as I haven't been there for a while

Nov 25, 2008
Real hamburgers, lets see I myself make my own....2 lb ground beef [ not the cheap stuff mixed with chicken heads ], 1/2 lb ground pork meat, 2 large onions in a blender, salt, pepper, one pack of bacon [cooked] crumpled up and mixed all together; should make 8 jumbo burgers or 10 medium size

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I keep reading that it is impossible to find a real hamburger down there. I kind of find this hard to believe but may be mistaken as I haven't been there for a while

Some restaurants import American Beef and Sosua has a couple of restaurants that serves them and Maura mai is the first one that comes to mind but overall it appears that the general population that comes to this Island would rather have a $2 burger as opposed to a $10 burger...

I can buy 5 - 1/3 LB USDA burgers for about $15 so it's only $3 per burger if you grill them at home

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The issue is the BEEF. I am not an expert but there is a big difference in the beef.

Perhaps it is just the fat content that we are used to in the States but I think that it is more in the way the beef is slaughtered and bled.. as in not so much.. ANYWAY.. there is a taste in the beef that is simply not the same. I can only describe it as "gamey" like venison, say.

Most of the beef here is shoe leather tough here by US standards. Suitable for potroast and stew but not the tender strip steaks that we are used to.

One French friend suggested that I freeze the steaks first but I tried that and even that did not make enough of a difference. So I just stick to slow cooked stews or 12 hour marinated paper thin sliced fajitas . Even then, I prefer the pork.

So for "American hamburgers" most folks are actually referring to imported beef. Which can be found at upscale places such as Tony Roma's

I only use the ground beef here for pasta sauce and tacos and meatloaf, something with a heavy enough flavor to cover the taste. Otherwise, I do not care for it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You're right Annie, all I use ground beef for in DR is to make meatballs in lots of sauce.

AE

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The issue is the BEEF. I am not an expert but there is a big difference in the beef.

Perhaps it is just the fat content that we are used to in the States but I think that it is more in the way the beef is slaughtered and bled.. as in not so much.. ANYWAY.. there is a taste in the beef that is simply not the same. I can only describe it as "gamey" like venison, say.

Most of the beef here is shoe leather tough here by US standards. Suitable for potroast and stew but not the tender strip steaks that we are used to.
Get the 80% ground beef instead of the 95%, BIG difference in taste. It's not only more tender and tasty, it's less expensive.

I get our ground beef from PriceSmart and am very happy with the results.

Another option is to get a piece of good, fatty chuck and have them grind it for you.

Pictorial definition of a "Hamburger" from Casa CB:

Burger-1.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I was once told that the 'problem' has more to do with the 'lifestyle' of Dominican cattle vs those of the US or even Argentina. Dominican cattle tend to stay rather fit and develop much muscle fibers due to constantly wandering, since they are pretty much left alone until its time to be slaughtered. In the US, the cattle have a more sedentary 'lifestyle,' as such, become overweight. They are also closely monitored to ensure that they become fat.

In someways, reminds me of the lifestyle of many people in the US. LOL.

BTW, I'm not a rancher or cattle hearder and don't descend from a family in such field and this is based on mere hearsay. Don't know how much truth there is to it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I was once told that the 'problem' has more to do with the 'lifestyle' of Dominican cattle vs those of the US or even Argentina. Dominican cattle tend to stay rather fit and develop much muscle fibers due to constantly wandering, since they are pretty much left alone until its time to be slaughtered. In the US, the cattle have a more sedentary 'lifestyle,' as such, become overweight. They are also closely monitored to ensure that they become fat.

In someways, reminds me of the lifestyle of many people in the US. LOL.

BTW, I'm not a rancher or cattle hearder and don't descend from a family in such field and this is based on mere hearsay. Don't know how much truth there is to it.
Most are free range and eat weeds. They are slaughtered and taken to market right away without the meat being aged. Those are two big factors in the poor quality of DR beef.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
If you are in Sosua, Cafe Cubano makes great burgers...the owner is American...They make good burgers and it is not pricy..

jayandmel

Aug 31, 2011
I just heard that Cafe Cubano was sold and that can be a bummer if the new owner changes their current menu

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Most are free range and eat weeds. They are slaughtered and taken to market right away without the meat being aged. Those are two big factors in the poor quality of DR beef.

The meat is so tough because these cows practice kung fu while US cows sit on barco loungers watching "Is that my baby daddy?" episodes of Maury. Plus there being no standard feed the meat develops an acidic taste because their 8 stomachs are ruminating crap, grass, low lying shrubbery, garbage and bark.

It probably wouldnt be so bad if they didnt cut it so thin. And top everything with ketchup...and overcook it.

Embargo Art

Sep 4, 2011
Wow, this is pretty interesting. I saw the same thing with all the cattle, all free roaming like they used to do in the 1890's in the US......ha!

I even saw two cows that got hit on the left hand side of the road on the Autopista to Santiago. Looked like a fiery and bloody accident, of course they were still there all charred up!!

mrchris74

Mar 14, 2006

You're right, American cattle are finished on corn to fatten them. I think that's the primary difference. The fat is where the flavor is. I think Annie is right about the processing as well. Chicken isn't usually bled in the DR but because its a white meat you can easily see the difference. I've never noticed a difference in the color of beef but it does taste a touch gamey.

Another problem with burgers in the DR are the buns and condiments, in most cases neither are anywhere close to American restaurant standards. Especially the ketchup, yuck!

To the OP, if this is for your menu you may need to research whether you can make a profit on a decent burger. OTOH, if you make a great burger in the DR your customers may line up to see you. Good luck!

jayandmel

Aug 31, 2011
Not looking to make a burger in a restaurant at all, I am just trying to find a good burger when I come down there is all. In 15 trips still haven't been able to such a thing and it is a big downer. MrChris thank you for your response as well as everybody else
Cheers

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
Not looking to make a burger in a restaurant at all, I am just trying to find a good burger when I come down there is all. In 15 trips still haven't been able to such a thing and it is a big downer. MrChris thank you for your response as well as everybody else
Cheers

FYI...there is a McDonals in Santiango...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Burger Ya! in Los Jardines has amazing freshly made 8 oz Imported Angus beef burgers with real buns and condiments and now about a dozen toppings combos (bacon, different cheeses, sauces, grilled onions, mushrooms, etc)...all under 200 pesos.