Tattoo's

jayandmel

Aug 31, 2011
I have seen it covered on this forum before but I cannot seem to find such a thing. My brother who is heavily tattooed is considering joing me down in the DR, but he has a ton of tattoo's. I mean neck, hands, legs etc. IS he going to have any issues if he were to move down there? He would move to the Sosua PP area

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
If he is worried, he can wear long pants, a shirt with the collar up, and long sleeves. If he is not worried, he can wear what he wants

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Please, if you were in SD or Santiago maybe. Anywhere else hell no. Especially Sosua/Cabarette area. If he has $$$ to pay for his food and drink business owners will love him. The locals, especially the whores and motos will be drawn to the quality of his ink. I have seen some half decent barrio ink done with a kit made out of an old Sony walkman.

And before i get the " what is barrio art " i will answer now. a large Virgin Mary on ones back, tramp stamps with the names of the chicas 8 kids, guns, lotsa $$ symbols, yankees logos, or mostly all black jailhouse style tats.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
My friends are the heavily tattoo'd type but they go to DR as tourists. So every the girls and locals are drawn to it for the 'WAO' factor. If they are expats they might be looked at as 'gangsta' or rich. This is sterotyping but lots of dominicans tell me only drug dealers and rich people get lots of 'good' tattoos. They are the only ones who can afford quality tattoos and lots of them.

jayandmel

Aug 31, 2011
Well I will let him know. He is looking at Cabarete like I am. He has spent a good amount on the tattoo's and would look nothing like a gangster or criminal in regards to the quality of the ink

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
it is my opinion that your brother would be like wearing a big "kick me" sign to every law enforcement type and thug that exists. At best he had better have squeaky clean behavior.

jayandmel

Aug 31, 2011
SantiagueroRD in our travels the only place we really had trouble with tattoo's was in Japan (a whole different ordeal there) but in the DR he seemed to get along well, but as a tourist vs living there I can see how it could cause some problems

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Well I will let him know. He is looking at Cabarete like I am. He has spent a good amount on the tattoo's and would look nothing like a gangster or criminal in regards to the quality of the ink

A couple of my Son's pals with huge chest tat's, arms, legs, etc. just spent some time with me in Santo Domingo and Boca Chica and nobody gave a poop about their tat's. I can tell you that they were very popular with the Ladies there (like, who isn't?) and as far as "Law Enforcement" goes...well...they ARE "Law Enforcement" and their Dominican brother officers never gave them a second glance....don't believe the hype.

I'll tell you what though. The local kids were fascinated by the body art.

jayandmel

Aug 31, 2011
grey I feel you there when I was in Punta Cana last month and went to the beach and the locals saw my chest tattoo it was crazy the amount of positive attention I got and how a piece of art could break any language barrier

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Since a good tatoo kit goes for under $300USD these days ( starter kits on ebay $100 ) i have a feeling more backroom tatoo parlours will be popping up all over the North Coast. Low start up cost and can be done anywhere with a backup power supply when/if the power goes out.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
In downtown Cabarete, at Anna's hair salon accross the street from Friend's. Her husband is an excellent tatoo artist and not expensive.

Cabarete guy has a great reputation, possibly one of the best if not THE best in the country, if it is the same one I know of, been there quit a few years. Cabarete is not in SD though, the only one I would trust is in plaza central on the left side of the cinema. He appears clean but can't vouch for his work. The main issue would be contamination here, and probably quality of work comes second, although not on a Dominicans priority list unfortunately. I wouldn't touch those on El Conde. My cousin is quite heavily tattooed and I know he flew to miami in preference to getting a tattoo done in DR, I expect for a good reason.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I've seen discrimination, but it's been against a young woman who has a tattoo. Very tasteful and on her forearm. I suppose it depends on the situation.

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
I go to the POP area at least once a year and spend alot of time in non-tourist areas. I have 5 tattoos two of which are easily seen, the other three are smaller and don`t stand out as much. I have never encountered a problem because of them....the kids like looking at them and stop me frequently to check them out, few adults seem to notice them or care about them.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
We had 2 friends here with tattoos.

One female one which has a couple of dog paws on her upper arm. She drew quite a lot of positive interest.
One male one, with quite big tattoos, a ponytail and being 6'4", and early thirties. No negative comments on those whatsoever.

Both traveled the country.

Mind you, when our male friend went back to Belgium he was cavity-searched (in Belgium)... whoehaaa... he is still not over that humiliation. BTW.. the guy hardly ever drinks a beer, and hates drugs...