Moving to SD for winter - any advice?

cocoamama

Sep 6, 2011
Looking for any advice/info anyone might be able to provide. We are moving to Santo Domingo for about 5-6 months due to my husband's job. We are very familiar with the DR (husband travels about 5x a year for work), but this time we are bringing our 1 year old. I will be at home and not working and was wondering about options for infant/toddler classes or playgroups/meetups (can be in English or Spanish). Also any pools or parks in the area that are baby friendly? We will most likely be in the Evaristo Morales or Julieta area.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
When my son was 1 I also lived near that area. I used to take him to Crescendo (music class for babies/toddlers/pre-schoolers) in Plaza Las Americas, at the Churchill-Pastoriza intersection, once a week and it was fun for both of us.

There are a lot of good pre-schools in that area, many of which are bilingual - it's a question of asking around, and dropping in and visiting to find out which one suits your child best.

There are small parks with children's playgrounds in the Naco and Seralles neighbourhoods - both these areas are a short drive away from Evaristo Morales/Julieta. Gold's Gym in Evaristo Morales might have a kids' class.

Crescendo's phone number is 809-732-2615
No website, only Facebook page Crescendo Musical - Info | Facebook

Gold's Gym Santo Domingo
Health and Fitness Gym at Santo Domingo, | Gold's Gym

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Also, the International Women's Club of Santo Domingo has a Baby Playgroup - see contact info at the foot of this page.
Activities

The biggest park in that part of Santo Domingo is in Mirador del Sur, about 15 mins drive, traffic permitting.

No pools, but some hotels offer membership to their pools. Good options are Hotel Santo Domingo and Dominican Fiesta. Neither are in your immediate area and will involve a 15-20 minute drive depending on traffic.