Nesessity is the Mother of Invention: Tragedy Averted

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
So i'm making a big chicken Caesar salad for dinner last night, made the dressing, prepped the Romaine, took the chicken off the grill, all ready. But ~something~ was missing. What did I forget? :confused:

Oh, Jeez. :disappoin:cry: No croutons. No prob, i'll whip them right up.

But wait!!!!! :speechles No bread? How can I have a decent Caesar without garlic croutons?

So I got to thinking and poking around in the pantry. Eureka! I have it!

Confle!

So I proceeded thusly:

3tbs. melted butter
1tsp. prepared garlic
pinch salt
1tsp. dried parsely

Mix it all up. Add 3/4 cup corn flakes (I used the Nestle's.) Gently toss until coated. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and put in a preheated 300 degree oven for 15-20 mins until dry and still crunchy.

Voila! Seriously good crunchy salad topping! I might even forgo bread croutons next time! Confle "croutons" were a hit!

:cheeky:

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
You sound like quite the cook; I'm impressed! I think I'm gonna try that-thanks!

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Just had Chicken Ceasar Salad for lunch: No Croutons "viola read this post", ~~~~~run out to store~No regular Cornflakes only Frosted...not feeling that sweet tooth with the chicken...:):) was just lookin for the crunch factor...

~oh well...but will keep in mind for next time

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
My next will be an awesome brocolli/chicken/mushberry casserole...easy to make and just amazing.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Mushrooms. My adorable neice, when she was like 3-4, called them mushberries. It stuck, one of those seminal language moments...

Don't they look more like berries than rooms?

:classic:

CobraSpeak. Like gubmint. Bidniz. Edumacation.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
very cute. My son called sunburn 'heat stain' when he was about that age. Did you cook professionally?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
very cute. My son called sunburn 'heat stain' when he was about that age. Did you cook professionally?
No. Unless pitch hitting for the lunch and dinner rush when the cook called in sick makes me a pro.

But worked as a waiter in a high-end French restaurant in Tampa for a few years in school, and owned a working man's bar/restaurant/music venue in Tampa for several years....where I got to play around. :) Some of them good ol' boys never knew what hit 'em...(Dang, bro, this is damn GOOOOOD soup. What is it" "Avery Island oyster and onion soup." "Huh???")

Mon CB is an awesome Southrun' cook extraordinaire. I hung around in the kitchen helping her since I was a little kid.

Food is fun. I like fun.