OK Places to live in Santiago, near el centro

PCMissionary

Aug 5, 2011
Can anyone suggest a fairly OK neighborhood to live in Santiago (we'll be in that city for about 4 mths before moving on the La Vega permanently)? We are looking to be somewhat near el centro, if possible. Condos for rent/apts are fine.

Are there any places that would do a short-term arrangement, as opposed to a 1 yr lease?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
First, welcome to DR1!

You may not get a whole lot of replies, because so many folks have answered that same question over the last decade.

On the right side of the upper blue bar is the search window. If you use that, you'll find a wealth of information available. Also, check the real estate section on this site for listings in the Santiago area. Once you have read through that, ask some more pointed questions, and I'm sure you'll get a wealth of responses, as many people here can be extremely helpful.

To get you started, here's a general thread you might find helpful. http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/112283-living-costs-dominican-republic.html

Good luck.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Can anyone suggest a fairly OK neighborhood to live in Santiago (we'll be in that city for about 4 mths before moving on the La Vega permanently)? We are looking to be somewhat near el centro, if possible. Condos for rent/apts are fine.

Are there any places that would do a short-term arrangement, as opposed to a 1 yr lease?

It will be easier and about as much in cash to just negotiate a 4 month rental in a hotel or apartahotel in the city centre, than trying to negotiate and navigate a 4 month rental deal for a furnished site in Santiago.

But! You can get lucky by contacting one of the many RE agents advertising here in DR1, and telling them that Robert from DR1 recommended them to you! Who knows what deals they can offer you!

They can give you a very well packed orientation about the areas of the city, as it's the bread and butter of their every Day...

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
Its hard to find short term furnished rentals in Santiago. Most require 1st month rent, 1 month security deposit and 1 commission (equal to 1 month). You can try Marlenis Pena 809-862-0755, she speaks english/spanish and helped me find my apartment in santiago.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Some people do not need to take that extra month's rent for a commission. That is why I just sent you an e-mail...

HB