Cheapest way to call a cellphone in the DR from cellphone outside the US?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I currently use a calling card, and it's expensive plus the call quality isn't that great. I read about Vonage Extensions, which looked like a good deal, but the cell phone added to Extensions has to be within the continental US.

So I'm looking for a cheap way to call from my cellphone to a cellphone in the DR. Internet speed for both parties is mediocre so I prefer not using VoIP. Neither of us have land lines.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Fran509

Sep 6, 2011
Try the "EL SOL" calling card if you can find it in your area and make sure that you buy the $2 one it gives you about 33 minutes. It is cheaper to use calling cards rather than those cheap advertising rate with a carrier. If you find a better way, please let me know.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
I currently use a calling card, and it's expensive plus the call quality isn't that great. I read about Vonage Extensions, which looked like a good deal, but the cell phone added to Extensions has to be within the continental US.

So I'm looking for a cheap way to call from my cellphone to a cellphone in the DR. Internet speed for both parties is mediocre so I prefer not using VoIP. Neither of us have land lines.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I think the vonage plan would be worth it to me. My international bill was $150 this month. usually it ranges from 70-120 this month was just busy for me because i was doing a lot of traveling.

please note the vonage plan would have to be the premium plan. The basic plan only covers landlines..

EDIT: i did the price calculator taxes and fees make it about $75/month. Close to what i am looking but not there yet.

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
I think you'll find the cost savings will be material if you pay for your novia's land line in the DR... claro has an unlimited dialing to the US plan for land lines.

lea126

Jul 21, 2011
why don't you use skype? i know the you said the internet is slow. so is mine and i can get a package on my skype for 10 dollars for 120 minutes to a dominican cell phone. worth a try...hope this helps

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Cheap rates from any country to any country. Been using them for years. Minutes NEVER EXPIRE.

Phone Cards and International Calling Cards from NobelCom

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
I have used Tel3 for years and really like it. It may not be the cheapest but certainly the most convient. Check out tel3.com--- I believe it is 9 cents a min. to landline and 12 0r 13 to cells. You get rewards, you can set up your cells, home and work phones. You dial a local number or their 800 # and punch in your speed dial number and boom. Your credit card is auto charged when you run down to about 3 mins. Check out the web site. They have improved over the last couple of years which is a good sign. Most of my calls seem to go thru Verizon's sat. although they use several dependent on traffic. Wish someone could explain why Verizon wants 64 cents a min.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I think you'll find the cost savings will be material if you pay for your novia's land line in the DR... claro has an unlimited dialing to the US plan for land lines.
That may work if you can add an extension of your novia's land line at her novio's house.

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
I have always used rebtel and continue to use it so that my husband can call back to his family. Assignes a local number for you to the DR number and you call it from your cell phone. All the phones we call are cells but the system assigns them like they are landlines so for most calls we pay 4.9 cents a minute except one which is listed as a premium landline and we pay 7.9 cents a minute for that one. Call quality is pretty decent check it out they let you do a test for free if you are new.

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
From here in Ottawa I love www.xpresscall.com 0.055 to land lines in DR and 0.136 see https://www.xpresscall.com/rates.asp
Here is a quote from their website...
"There is no contract to sign and activating xpresscall does not affect
any of your existing telephone service agreements.
You can activate up to 8 different phones for your xpresscall account, including home, cellular or office phones."

there is a free offer of 40mins on their website PM me for my info if you sign up I get a few free minutes :)